IDS Failed to Connect on Port #491

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Re: IDS Failed to Connect on Port #491

Post by Zaphod »

There's no maintenance or any other scheduled outage going on right now. The port 491 message usually means that your local firewall configuration isn't allowing outgoing requests on port 491 (which is what the IDS client/server uses). That's not the case now, so the logical assumption is it's something server-side.

All the PowerChurch Online servers are up, communications are just getting hung up somewhere. I've got a call in to the datacenter to see if they can sort it out since they're in control of the firewall over there. This is speculation on my part, but I do know they just hired a new network admin over there (I met him when I was over there this week), so it's possible an audit of their firewall policies was a little too strict. Again, that's speculation! When possible, blame it on the new guy.

I'm sorry about the lack of access. I've got monitoring software set up to alert me if any of the servers go offline, which they haven't, so that's why I'm slow in responding. I'm on it now, and hope to have it sorted out soon.
PowerChurch Software Technical Support
(800) 486-1800
http://www.powerchurch.com/

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

After working with the datacenter guys, I've been able to determine what is wrong to a point. I've passed this information on to our server software support techs, and they're in there now trying to figure out how and why this has happened. Again, sorry for the inconvenience, but hopefully this should be back up soon.
(800) 486-1800

Zaphod
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Zaphod »

Access to PowerChurch Online has been restored. I'm sorry for the inconvenience, and I'm sorry for maligning the new guy at the datacenter. It wasn't a firewall issue after all, that "port 491" message was a red herring. The service that manages how the network load is distributed between all our servers was failing, so even though all the servers were up, they couldn't be reached. This has been resolved. The monitoring software was also not reporting this as being down, so I've altered how that's being monitored to prevent this in the future.
(800) 486-1800

wvuuc

Post by wvuuc »

Zaphod wrote:Access to PowerChurch Online has been restored.
On behalf of all of us, hurray! and thank you! :D
Wayne Daniel, Board
West Valley UU Church
Glendale, Arizona

debbieg

Post by debbieg »

YEAH!!! We're back up. thanks to all who had to do some work on Sunday to get this going. Now, back to work for all of us that had checks to write. :)
Debbie

Bart57266

Post by Bart57266 »

Thank you, Zaphod. We appreciate you getting on this as soon as you were aware of it.

Bart

pcu55408

Post by pcu55408 »

Thank you for getting to this and addressing the underlying issues!
Now we can get on to the other business of the day. Go Packers! :D

wesleychapelumc

Post by wesleychapelumc »

I'm so glad this issue occured because now PowerChurch online can now be more sensitive to connection issues since if we can't connect we have NO SOFTWARE, therefore no PC online subscriber has the product they purchased.