IDS Failed to Connect on Port #491

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

brc_admin

IDS Failed to Connect on Port #491

Post by brc_admin »

We've been using the online version of PC11 for over a month and it has worked beautifully until last weekend. We were affected by the crash and when the problem was resolved on Sunday afternoon, we were able to get back in and once again could successfully access PC11 -- until today.

We have started receiving the Port #491 error again. I had PC's tech support contact our assistant who keeps getting kicked out of the program but she was no help. She told our assistant that the problem is not with PC but with our firewall and that we should contact our own IT support for help. The problem is we are NOT behind a firewall and port #491 is not blocked. I've checked. Our assistant contacted her internet provider thinking maybe there was a problem with the lines but there is not. She is working frantically from home trying to get our program up and running before Sunday but every time she gets kicked out, she loses a little of what she was working on. I do not believe this is a firewall issue on our end. Like I said, we've been working seamlessly for a few weeks until last weekend and now we're having major connection issues.

Someone please help. This is becoming increasingly frustrating.
Thank you.

NeilZ

Re: IDS Failed to Connect on Port #491

Post by NeilZ »

jforsyth wrote:We've been using the online version of PC11 for over a month and it has worked beautifully until last weekend. We were affected by the crash and when the problem was resolved on Sunday afternoon, we were able to get back in and once again could successfully access PC11 -- until today.

We have started receiving the Port #491 error again. I had PC's tech support contact our assistant who keeps getting kicked out of the program but she was no help. She told our assistant that the problem is not with PC but with our firewall and that we should contact our own IT support for help. The problem is we are NOT behind a firewall and port #491 is not blocked. I've checked. Our assistant contacted her internet provider thinking maybe there was a problem with the lines but there is not. She is working frantically from home trying to get our program up and running before Sunday but every time she gets kicked out, she loses a little of what she was working on. I do not believe this is a firewall issue on our end. Like I said, we've been working seamlessly for a few weeks until last weekend and now we're having major connection issues.

Thank you.
FWIW ... that error message last week was somewhat of a Red Herring according to the PC Online tech. The actual error was on the server side of the system, not the IDS interface.

I was just able to connect to PC Online without an issue. Of course, when I first installed the IDS client program, I told my firewall (AVG Internet Security) to allow access to all.

Are you running any sort of Internet Security program, or even Windows Firewall ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

jforsyth wrote:I had PC's tech support contact our assistant who keeps getting kicked out of the program but she was no help. She told our assistant that the problem is not with PC but with our firewall and that we should contact our own IT support for help. The problem is we are NOT behind a firewall and port #491 is not blocked. I've checked. Our assistant contacted her internet provider thinking maybe there was a problem with the lines but there is not. She is working frantically from home trying to get our program up and running before Sunday but every time she gets kicked out, she loses a little of what she was working on. I do not believe this is a firewall issue on our end. Like I said, we've been working seamlessly for a few weeks until last weekend and now we're having major connection issues.

Thank you.
You're right, it's not a problem with the firewall. If the connection does NOT succeed, it's a firewall issue.
This issue sounds like the wireless connection to the internet is going up and down. Have your assistant watch the bars. If the assistant is not using a wireless connection, please have her call back and talk with us again. Please have her explain that she does connect, it drops after she's connected. Though others are not having this problem, it could be a packet loss problem with a router between her computer and server. Packet loss could happen due to an overloaded router somewhere between point A and B. A perfect example would be she's at the end of a DSL line in a neighborhood. The others in the neighborhood are downloading and watching lots of video content saturating her bandwidth.
Tracy

brc_admin

Post by brc_admin »

Excellent. Thank you Tracy. I will pass on the information. Thank you for your help!