Printing to File - Online Version

PowerChurch Online is an installation of PowerChurch Plus that resides on our servers, which you access remotely from across the internet.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

skuenkel

Printing to File - Online Version

Post by skuenkel »

Whenever I attempt to print to file (from the report menu) or try to export a Custom Report to Word, Excel, etc the function completes and I notice a pop-up stating the program is transferring to a local workstation. Then report finishes but I have no access to it. I assume it is storing it local to you (company) and not local to me. I cannot find the file, nor does it ever give me the opportunity to name the report file...

Questions: 1) is it possible to print to Word, Excel, txt for Online version users to my local workstation? 2) if yes, what are instructions? I could not find any online.

thanks for your help.

NeilZ

Re: Printing to File - Online Version

Post by NeilZ »

skuenkel wrote:Whenever I attempt to print to file (from the report menu) or try to export a Custom Report to Word, Excel, etc the function completes and I notice a pop-up stating the program is transferring to a local workstation. Then report finishes but I have no access to it. I assume it is storing it local to you (company) and not local to me. I cannot find the file, nor does it ever give me the opportunity to name the report file...

Questions: 1) is it possible to print to Word, Excel, txt for Online version users to my local workstation? 2) if yes, what are instructions? I could not find any online.

thanks for your help.
I looked through some of the topics under the Powerchurch Online Forum, and found one that had this example of saving a report:
Bring a report up on the screen, then click the Save As button (the floppy disk icon). Choose Excel as the file type.

When browsing to a location to save the file, remember to go to the drives marked "Client". Your C: drive will be mapped to M:\Client C or something similar.

You won't ever be able to access files you save to the C: drive on the server. It needs to be the Client C, which is your local computer.
Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cd

Post by cd »

I am new to PowerChurch (just entered my data yesterday). So please be kind, if I am overlooking something obvious:

I am trying to get reports to MY computer, but like the post mentioned above it states: transferring to a local workstation. It does NOT give me the option to browse to select a location. I click the floppy disk icon and it just asks me for the file type, then states "transferring to a local workstation". It doesn't even ask me to name the file or choose a location.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cd wrote:I am new to PowerChurch (just entered my data yesterday). So please be kind, if I am overlooking something obvious:

I am trying to get reports to MY computer, but like the post mentioned above it states: transferring to a local workstation. It does NOT give me the option to browse to select a location. I click the floppy disk icon and it just asks me for the file type, then states "transferring to a local workstation". It doesn't even ask me to name the file or choose a location.
What should happen, is that after a few seconds, you should see a standard Windows Save As dialog. That is, you should see the type of windows seen below (this is a WinXP dialog, Vista & Win7 are somewhat similar):
saveas.jpg
If you're not seeing that, then I'd give the Powerchurch support line a call. There may be a firewall issue, or something like that that needs to be adjusted.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cd

Post by cd »

Thanks, I wasn't seeing that at all.

So, I sent an email to the tech staff and they sent me a zip file to run that repaired something in the system to allow the files to save (hooray!) Sounds like it's an issue with 64 bit Windows computers. Their fix worked like a charm! :D

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cd wrote:Thanks, I wasn't seeing that at all.

So, I sent an email to the tech staff and they sent me a zip file to run that repaired something in the system to allow the files to save (hooray!) Sounds like it's an issue with 64 bit Windows computers. Their fix worked like a charm! :D
Glad to hear ... I suspect that is something that others need to know about.

Hey Tech Guys & Gals ... is this something that you can place under the downloads area of the website, or to they need to contact you directly ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

It is actually an open bug report with the folks at IDS. The document redirect stuff isn't recognizing the difference between 32 and 64 bit versions of the Program Files vs Program Files (x86) folders.

It is not normally something we keep linked on the web site, because installing this registry fix when you don't need it can actually break a process that is working and is really hard to diagnose the problem after the fact. However, with as backed up as phone and e-mail support can be at this time of year, it is in everyone's best interest to be able to fix the problem themselves without having to wait for support:

http://powerchurchsoftware.com/support/ids64.zip

Save the zip file to your computer, then open it and double click the mouse on the reg file to run it. This is Windows only. Mac doesn't have a registry.

Any future users having this problem should carefully read the original post and make sure that these are the symptoms you are experiencing before running this fix.

antioch11

Post by antioch11 »

"When browsing to a location to save the file, remember to go to the drives marked "Client". Your C: drive will be mapped to M:\Client C or something similar."

I have a new laptop and can't find the M:\Client folder. I saw it when I saved the file, it was the only option for saving. But now that I want to retrieve it, I cannot find it. Any ideas?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

antioch11 wrote:"When browsing to a location to save the file, remember to go to the drives marked "Client". Your C: drive will be mapped to M:\Client C or something similar."

I have a new laptop and can't find the M:\Client folder. I saw it when I saved the file, it was the only option for saving. But now that I want to retrieve it, I cannot find it. Any ideas?
I would suspect that its the C:\ drive on your computer. If you only have one hard drive (or only one partition on the hard drive) its the one the client is going to use. Did you save it with any special name?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Strong-Bible

Post by Strong-Bible »

Thanks for posting the bug fix regarding downloading (saving) reports to EXCEL. I had to reload my computer after a crash and reinstalled PC and all of a sudden couldn't save files to my computer. So happy to find the bug fix in this forum. Thanks again