Page 1 of 1

Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:21 pm
by Mhardin
We use Powerchurch Online and currently have 3 campuses 2 of which are portable. We are interested into moving away from our checkin kiosk and implementing iPads with wireless label printers. Maybe even possibly wear the label printer on a belt around the waist. This would allow us to help the first time guest quicker and assist parents who may be standing in a long line waiting for the self check in. (Think Chick-FIla drive thru)

What I am seeing is that MAC IOS system is not compatible meaning we would have to purchase a lower grade tablet with Windows and the only compatible label machine I have been able to find is the Dymo label writers. Nothing is mentioned of anything wireless accessible through bluetooth. Is anyone currently doing this? Is this an option? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2018 9:56 pm
by NeilZ
Mhardin wrote:We use Powerchurch Online and currently have 3 campuses 2 of which are portable. We are interested into moving away from our checkin kiosk and implementing iPads with wireless label printers. Maybe even possibly wear the label printer on a belt around the waist. This would allow us to help the first time guest quicker and assist parents who may be standing in a long line waiting for the self check in. (Think Chick-FIla drive thru)

What I am seeing is that MAC IOS system is not compatible meaning we would have to purchase a lower grade tablet with Windows and the only compatible label machine I have been able to find is the Dymo label writers. Nothing is mentioned of anything wireless accessible through bluetooth. Is anyone currently doing this? Is this an option? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks


I suspect that since on their System Requirements for Check-in they specifically say that IOS/Linux is not supported, I don't think you have any other option other than to stay with the existing system, as it apparently requires the IDS client.

If you were using the standard Powerchurch Plus (local version) you could then use the iPad since you could then use the Web Check in.

That said, there are very good Windows tablets available. Just doing a quick browse at Amazon shows iPads at $325, and a MS Surface at $299.

As far as the printer, you are correct, the Dyno label writers are the only ones that are compatible with the system.

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:06 pm
by kmon00
Just curious about the Dymo label writer model that works with tablets and is wireless. We are just working on this issue ourselves, moving to tablets instead of laptops, but we are stumped with the label writer. We have Dymo 450 Duo label writers, but nowhere does it say these are wireless or bluetooth. Which model works that way, anyone?

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:44 pm
by NeilZ
kmon00 wrote:Just curious about the Dymo label writer model that works with tablets and is wireless. We are just working on this issue ourselves, moving to tablets instead of laptops, but we are stumped with the label writer. We have Dymo 450 Duo label writers, but nowhere does it say these are wireless or bluetooth. Which model works that way, anyone?


They're not. There are two ways to get around this:

1. have a computer station setup with a few of the 450s plugged in and setup as network printers
2. Get a couple of Wireless Print Servers at Amazon for about $40 each, and set them up on the network with a printer setup on each one:
https://www.amazon.com/IOGEAR-1-Port-Pr ... 2470955011

Dymo now has a wireless label printer, and while I suspect that it would work, I'm not going to assume that.

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:35 pm
by kmon00
Thank you, Neil. I will pass this information on to our IT expert and see what he recommends.

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 5:28 pm
by Mhardin
Thanks for your help! We would also like a way for parents to check in from an app prior to arriving so that their labels are pre-printed and there is no waiting. But, this too is a little beyond the scope of PC. Thank you again for all your help.

Re: Wireless Check-in from iPad

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:34 pm
by NeilZ
Mhardin wrote:Thanks for your help! We would also like a way for parents to check in from an app prior to arriving so that their labels are pre-printed and there is no waiting. But, this too is a little beyond the scope of PC. Thank you again for all your help.


My suggestion is to send an email to wishlist@powerchurch.com with your request, and how you expect to see it implemented. That said, I'm not sure how that would be implemented as it would involve accessing either a local churches office network (which should not be public), or accessing Powerchurch Online servers, which are similarly locked down.