Checkout Slip does not match

The PowerChurch Check In system is an add-on product that works along side PowerChurch Plus to provide you an affordable and easy to use Check In system.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

cyruscli

Checkout Slip does not match

Post by cyruscli »

Hello,

We are trying to setup the Check In module with a printer.

When we first tried to check in and check out last week for an event, we did not use a printer, and manually checked every one out after the event.

This week, we are testing with printing out a slip for the parents to help streamline the check out process.

During our testing, there was no one checked in from the previous week. I went ahead and checked myself and my children in, and the slip that was printed out was not of the people I checked in, but of others that are part of the activity. The code on the slip doesn't match the children checked in either from the Check Out menu in the kiosk. Upon further investigation, the slip that was printed referenced to the date of last week's event.

Is there some sort of cache or table I can reset the Check-In module? I tried it on 2 different computers with the kiosk, and even tried to check in other members of the activity, but the results were the same. The slip printed is not the member that was checked in.

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Thank you,
Cyrus

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Checkout Slip does not match

Post by Zorak »

There isn't a cache anywhere in PowerChurch. I am writing up a bug report for our developers to dig into and see if they can recreate this behavior.

Was your Check In kiosk set to "No Printer" during the first day's check in, or was it set to "Laser/Ink Jet Printer"?

I have seen weird things happen before with jobs backed up somewhere in between the Print Queue/Spooler in Windows and the printer, but it's rare.

cyruscli

Post by cyruscli »

Hi Zorak,

Thanks for this.

Yes, the Check In Kiosk was set to "No Printer" the first day, and now it is set to print at our network printer (Laser printer).

The printer is attached via direct IP, there is no printer server in between if that helps. If your team needs more info about our environment and OS versions, let me know and I'll gather them for you.

Thanks again,
Cyrus

flackbt

Post by flackbt »

Hello,

Was there ever a fix or solution to this problem? We are currently upgrading our Checkin kiosk PC's (Windows 10 Pro, I5 desktops) and using inkjet printers to print labels (Dynamic Systems Check-In Form) and when checking In an individual the label/printout doesn't match the person being checked in on the Kiosk. The attendance report shows the proper person being checked in but the actual label in sheet form is the wrong person. We currently use Dymo LabelWriter 450 Turbo printers on older PC's and have had nothing but problems with the drivers and printer reliability. Printing inkjet to the Dynamic Systems Check-In Form is a great solution to eliminating the Dymo printers.

PowerChurch Plus V12.2 running on a Dell Optiplex server with Windows 10 Pro (2004) with multiple networked users.
PowerChurch Checkin V11 also running on the same Dell Optiplex server.

Any assistance would be welcomed.

Thanks
Brian

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

That's strange that you're having problems with the Dymo printers as well as this behavior with the full page check in sheets. The Dymo printers haven't caused many problems in our experience.

When the developers researched the problem that cyruscli was reporting last year, the only thing they could come up with was a possible problem in between the Windows print spooler and the printer's internal print queue, neither of which there would be anything software related we could do anything about.

When you say the label doesn't match person being checked in, is it from a previous day's check in, as cyruscli was experiencing? If so, the diagnosis would probably still be the same. My interpretation of which is the old print jobs were hanging out there somewhere in a failed state and each new sheet you print was reviving one of them, the new ones getting stacked up in the queue.

flackbt

Post by flackbt »

Hi Zorak,
Thanks for your quick reply - I got this problem when setting up 2 new Checkin PC Kiosks (V11) with Windows 10 Pro (2004) on I5 Dell Optiplex desktops (replacing very old previous Kiosk PCs on Windows 10 Home 32bit) . The Checkin Server is on a backup laptop server that we test all changes/enhancements/maint. releases before we apply to the production server (we have a duplicate copy/license of PowerChurch Plus V12 for quick backup and testing).

The new Checkin Kiosk PC print queues were completely clean before I checked in the first individual. In fact, I just added the inkjet printer (Brother MFC-J497DW) to the Checkin desktop (test printed the printer in Settings) and nothing was ever printed to this printer from PowerChurch or Checkin. I tried to checkin at least 6 individuals and every test printed a different person's data. At least 2 times while testing, I was checking in one person and the kiosk printed multiple wrong people from the same family (I believe 4 pages).

Now for the reason I am going away from DYMO printers and using the inkjet/Dynamic Systems Check-In Form option.
We just had a LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo fail/die and I purchased a new one from Amazon. I installed a clean copy of the most recent 450 Twin Turbo drivers (downloaded from DYMO) on one of the new Kiosk PCs (they never had a previous version of DYMO software/drivers installed) and carefully followed their installation directions - installed drivers/software and then plug the 450 TT USB cable into the Kiosk. I then performed a test print from Settings/Devices/Printers & scanners/DYMO LabelWriter 450 Twin Turbo/Manage/Print a test page/ and the new 450 TT worked fine. I had the print queue window open for this printer visible in a small window and I could see the test print appear and disappear in the queue.

I then tried for hours trying to Checkin individuals from our test PowerChurch DB using the new DYMO 450 TT to no avail. In the Kiosk PC, my login had complete admin rights and I used the same production server Kiosk.ini file as we used for the previous dead 450 TT printer with the exception of the "Server=" command - changed from TLCPCD-MC1 (our production server) to FBS-Insp-5391 (our backup/test server). I tried every possible option in the Kiosk.ini file and Windows 10 but couldn't get the Checkin Kiosk PC to print to the new 450 TT. I also had the print queue window open for the new 450 TT printer visible in a small window and nothing ever passes through the queue from the new Checkin Kiosk.

At this point I started looking for other printer options because the above scenario has happened many times to our Sunday School personnel in the past. They would come in on Sunday morning, turn on the Kiosk and when performing the first checkin, the Dymo would not print. This has happened on the 450 Turbo and 450 Twin Turbo (we have 2 stations) many times and the staff would have to revert to hand written labels. My guess is that a Windows 10 update happened between uses and affected the DYMOs. So far, we were always able to get the DYMOs going again (after many hours) but now this new 450 TT will not work with the Checkin software.

On all of our production PowerChurch PCs (with the exception of our old Checkin Kiosks), I opt out/control Windows 10 updates through the Group Policy feature in Windows 10 Pro and carefully schedule updates after testing on a dummy PC. This is the reason we are upgrading the Checkin Kiosk PCs to Win 10 Pro to avoid update surprises on Sunday Morning.

In closing (sorry for the long-winded post), I am thrilled that we have an option to use inkjets (less expensive than DYMOs) that work with my new Checkin Kiosks. However, this new problem (printing out the wrong person) needs to be resolved before I can go any further. Fortunately, we have a little time because Sunday School and other Church gatherings in our state (NJ) are limited because of the pandemic.

I really appreciate the help and hope to hear from you soon,

Brian Flack (The Lighthouse Church)

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Thank you for clarifying the issue. We have an open bug report about this from back at the time of the original post here. I have added you to the list of users reporting the problem. We will have the developers take another look at it.

flackbt

Post by flackbt »

Thank You!