Extended family or people with no kids checkin

The PowerChurch Check In system is an add-on product that works along side PowerChurch Plus to provide you an affordable and easy to use Check In system.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

hccdecatur

Extended family or people with no kids checkin

Post by hccdecatur »

Presently, I am still confused on 1 area related to Checkin. We have alot of great benefits w/ Checkin. However, this 1 troubles me....what do you do if you have an individual who comes in to checkin that are grandparents or just bring a kid w/ them, but they are not the child or a parent of a child.

Let me clarify, these individuals are in the system, but do not have kids, or the kids they bring are not theirs. It seems the system is designed that the parents be the origin of checkin. Presently, we have to select the kids as the 1 checking them in. However, that is not really a wise/safe way to do it, because there is no way to determine who actually checked in or can pick up the child.

What can be done w/ this or am I doing something wrong?

Specifically, we have a grandfather who brings in 3 nieces each week. The parents themselves are in the sysgtem because they sometimes do attend. However, he is also in the system but we have no ability to check his grandkids in w/ him as the dropoff/pickup person. How do we address a situation like this?

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Re: Extended family or people with no kids checkin

Post by Tracy »

There is no provision for this in the current process.

I'd like some feed back from others using Check In about this. I'm sure we can incorporate a screen into PowerChurch for data entry to make this work. I want to have an understanding the possibilities before designing and implementing a process that doesn't fit well in most/all cases.
Tracy

hccdecatur

Post by hccdecatur »

My issue is that there are more than just 1 family this is impacting. I have several that they bring kids w/ no kids themselves. Is it possible when you select an individuals's name and it brings up the list of which you want to add to an activity to cancel and check in a non-family member to this individual? That would resolve it easily if that were the case. If I am not mistaken, when you cancel it brings you back to the name screen to key the parent/guardian name of checkin.

hccdecatur

Post by hccdecatur »

Once again, I struggled with this issue on 3 different families today. Let me clarify:

Powerchurch Checkin is based upon the individual checking in being a parent. If the individual is not a parent then we cannot check in a child under the individuals name. Basically, I had a grandma drop off their grand daughter for Nursery, however, the daughter actually attends but not regularly. If I move the child out from the parent to the profile of the grandmother, then when the mother shows up she will say that it is her child and not the grandmother's. The other issue is that there is no way to safely check a child in under an individual who is not the direct parent or a parent themselves in the present configuration.

I am begging that this be readdressed...if there is a thought that this is just my church dealing w/ the issue, there is no way...THIS IS A KEY ISSUE that needs to be addressed for the benefit of security, which is the primary benefit of Checkin, to my belief.

Thank you again...I just want to ensure that the software is beneficial to all churches....as well, I am positive that this issue is more widespread than what u realize...there is no way this is a trend of my church alone.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

My suggestion: on the main Powerchurch personal profile screen, you have a location where you can link a child to an 'authorized' caregiver, or a caregiver to an authorized child.

IMHO .. something like this should be authorized in advance when a child is registered for school by the parents, not something on the fly.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

hccdecatur

Post by hccdecatur »

I agree Neilz, this should be pre-determined by parents, not an on the fly type moment.

Additionally, the key issue here though is how you checkin kids if the individual bringing the child is not the parent, but the parent attends...thus they are Powerchurch, but not connected to the child? It's a pretty big issue. When the individual comes to pickup the child there is no point of security that says who picked up on the parent tag, because the parent was not present at the time of checkin or in attendance at service. However, they do, in fact attend, periodically at best. We have so many issues where grandparents bring their kids, I know I see it weekly guaranteed, it makes it tedious and unsecure at the same time, when you are attempting to improve security. :?

hccdecatur

Post by hccdecatur »

Just to update....

once again, saw this issue of grandparents dropping off their grandkids for kids ministry this morning. As mentioned before, no way to check in that the child was brought by another individual that is not the parent. Hoping that this is to be revised. The idea that the parent is always there is only realistic in a church where parents attend 100% of the time....however, I don't know of many churches like that. The other issue is, what happens if they bring a child for the parents but are not parents themselves....these individuals cannot check in thru the system...what to do? what to do? :?

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

We have made a change which has removed the dialog when Grandma enters her name and she (or anyone in the household records) has no activities to check into. She will be brought to a blank grid. The "Check In Non-Family Member" button will be available. This will allow Grandma to check in a grand child.
Tracy