BarCode Scanning - Family Name Lookup

The PowerChurch Check In system is an add-on product that works along side PowerChurch Plus to provide you an affordable and easy to use Check In system.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

jjreed624

BarCode Scanning - Family Name Lookup

Post by jjreed624 »

Hi all,

I'm currently using Win Vista with Powerchuch 11. I'm not sure what version of Power Check In I have...can't seem to find an "about" or "help" in the check in module that might say.

Anyway, my issue is this. I'm using the barcode scanner to pull up a parent name for Check In. I printed a nametag label with barcode for the parent from the Attendance Register, then went into Update Existing Family and assigned the barcode to the parent. Then when I try to scan the barcode for the actual check in, it brings up the barcode number in the last name field and presents a status box that says "please enter last name." At this point I have to hit enter 3 times to clear the status box, jump from last name, then to first name, then to the next screen (the family check in page).

The family check in page is where I'm trying to get to when I scan the barcode. Is it a bug that it doesn't just skip to the check in page, or is hitting enter three times the programmer's intent? Is that what others are experiencing? Or do I have something set up incorrectly?

Thanks for any advice or help!

NeilZ

Re: BarCode Scanning - Family Name Lookup

Post by NeilZ »

jjreed624 wrote:Hi all,

I'm currently using Win Vista with Powerchuch 11. I'm not sure what version of Power Check In I have...can't seem to find an "about" or "help" in the check in module that might say.

Anyway, my issue is this. I'm using the barcode scanner to pull up a parent name for Check In. I printed a nametag label with barcode for the parent from the Attendance Register, then went into Update Existing Family and assigned the barcode to the parent. Then when I try to scan the barcode for the actual check in, it brings up the barcode number in the last name field and presents a status box that says "please enter last name." At this point I have to hit enter 3 times to clear the status box, jump from last name, then to first name, then to the next screen (the family check in page).

The family check in page is where I'm trying to get to when I scan the barcode. Is it a bug that it doesn't just skip to the check in page, or is hitting enter three times the programmer's intent? Is that what others are experiencing? Or do I have something set up incorrectly?

Thanks for any advice or help!
FWIW .. this question should have been asked in the Check In area of the forum, as many other users would be able to see the answer.

Now as to your problem ... in Powerchurch Check In Setup is the check box for Barcode Scanner Attached selected.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Also, you don't have to assign the barcode to someone if it is a barcode that you originally printed from PowerChurch Plus. The Check In system already knows that barcode is assigned to that person.

jjreed624

Post by jjreed624 »

Hi all, thanks for your quick replies. Yes, the barcode scanner option is checked in setup.

Also, i've applied the latest maintenance patch...in the writeup for the patch, it seemed to me that it was going to address this very issue, but it didn't seem to do anything in our case here.

Maybe I'm imagining what should happen incorrectly, but it seems like once you scan the barcode, it should pull up the family, not require you to hit enter twice. I think that's a secondary issue though as to why the barcode is pulling up numbers and not the name of the family.

Thanks...

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

If you scan a barcode into notepad, is the cursor at the end of the numbers, or is it on a new line? The scanner may not be adding a carriage return after the numbers, you would then have to press enter. If this is the case, there should be options to change the scanner to add a carriage return after the numbers

jjreed624

Post by jjreed624 »

Thanks for the reply Jeff...

Yes, when scanning in Notepad, the cursor is on a new line...so I guess it is adding the carriage return.

It just seems something isn't right...doesn't seem like you should have to press enter to jump through those name fields (maybe only once).

Is anyone actually using the barcode scanner for check-in that can relate their experience?

Tracy
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Tracy »

There are three files to look at for version information.
On the server, the pcserver11.exe, which defaults to c:\powerchurch\pcserver\.
On the kiosk, the pckiosk.exe and pckiosk11.exe, which default to c:\powerchurch\checkin.

Right click on the EXE file, select Properties, select the Details tab. The latest version is 11.2010.3140. Both the pckiosk.exe and the pcserver11.exe should match this version. The pckiosk11.exe should be the same or possibly 11.2010.2142.

If your versions do not match, first try to get the maintenance release for Check In. If that does not update them, call and request a new CD.

If the problem still exist in the latest version, contact support.
Tracy

jjreed624

Post by jjreed624 »

Thanks for your reply Tracy. I will check those versions ASAP and report the findings...