Group Email Member Addresses

OneBody Hosting is an add-on product available for PowerChurch Plus and PowerChurch Online. OneBody is a social network and online directory for your members.

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

MikeKeller

Group Email Member Addresses

Post by MikeKeller »

Am I correct in my assumption that when I send a group email to members of a specific Activity and Skill grouping that PowerChurch will first look to the Personal Profile for an associated email address and if it doesn't find one, that it will next check the Family Mailing record to see if there is a common email address for the family and will then use the Family Mailing email address for the A&S group member that doesn't have a Personal Profile email address?

What happens if I assign the same email address to multiple Personal Profile records within a family and I send a Group email to members of an A&S group which contains multiple family members with the same email address?

Thoughts? Thanks, Mike
Mike Keller
Communications/Database Director
Crown of Life Lutheran Church

NeilZ

Re: Group Email Member Addresses

Post by NeilZ »

MikeKeller wrote:Am I correct in my assumption that when I send a group email to members of a specific Activity and Skill grouping that PowerChurch will first look to the Personal Profile for an associated email address and if it doesn't find one, that it will next check the Family Mailing record to see if there is a common email address for the family and will then use the Family Mailing email address for the A&S group member that doesn't have a Personal Profile email address?

What happens if I assign the same email address to multiple Personal Profile records within a family and I send a Group email to members of an A&S group which contains multiple family members with the same email address?

Thoughts? Thanks, Mike
I believe that is correct. So what happens, I don't believe the system checks for duplicates, so everyone gets a copy. Which means at least two copies will appear in the delivery mailbox. The answer to this is if there is only one email address used, only enter it in the family mailing list profile.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

MikeKeller

Post by MikeKeller »

Thx Neil. We are using OneBody Groups which doesn't upload Family email addrs which is presenting another set of problems relative to OneBody Group emails. We have tried duplicating the single email addr in the personal profiles and it syncs fine with OneBody. The problem comes AFTER a group email is sent out from OneBody and the group member which has the duplicate email address tries to "reply all". OneBody doesn't know which OneBody duplicate member should get the reply and omits the duplicate member's reply. The answer is for the duplicate members to get another email address but some refuse to do so. Guess we will have to put our foot down. Mike
Mike Keller

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

I wanted to double check before I answered you. We look at the e-mail address before we add it to the list of e-mails to send. So if you have multiple people with the same e-mail address, they will not get multiple messages.

I am not sure about the OneBody e-mails, that is a different process. But PowerChurch will only send one e-mail out if multiple people have that e-mail address.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Jeff wrote:I wanted to double check before I answered you. We look at the e-mail address before we add it to the list of e-mails to send. So if you have multiple people with the same e-mail address, they will not get multiple messages.
I was trying to remember the algorithm used, and if you checked for dupes. Thanks for the reminder.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Tracy and I double checked the code before replying because neither of us could remember exactly how it works.

MikeKeller

Post by MikeKeller »

Thx everyone for investigating the issue. Still trying to find a workable solution as it relates to OneBody. OneBody group email "reply all" doesn't play nice with members with duplicate addresses even if there is only one of the dups in the group. Let me know if you have any ideas. Mike
Mike Keller

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Jeff wrote:Tracy and I double checked the code before replying because neither of us could remember exactly how it works.
:)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

MikeKeller

Post by MikeKeller »

Fyi. OneBody only sends out one email even if there are multiple members in the group email with the same address. The problem comes when the member with the dup selects "reply all" to the email. OneBody doesn't know which duplicate member should get the reply and the sender gets an email saying "OneBody can't process the request because there are family members with the same email address" or words to that effect. All other non-dup members of the group do in fact receive the reply but the sender with the dup doesn't know that.
Mike
Mike Keller