Report for how much money is in what account?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ChristGuard

Report for how much money is in what account?

Post by ChristGuard »

Hey guys!
Neil Z has helped me a lot, and I bet he will respond here (if so, thank you!). I am trying to get this sorted out so we can hand it off to a church treasurer! Here is my current set back: I would like to (as Neil suggested) start having our church operate out of one checking account and allow PCP to do the hard work. I have set up my chart of accounts and things are moving nicely. I set up automatic percent transferring for contribution funds, and that looks like it is working nice as well. So, if I have a 2,000 offering and 4,000 Missions offering, PCP now designates 1,800 as Tithes and Offerings, 200 as external tithe (%10 of the offering), 3,600 is designated as Missions, and 400 is designated as External Missions Tithe. Great! That will save us a ton of time and help in handing this very important task off and getting it done Sundays after service!

However, we only spend our missions money once or twice a year as we send missionaries, how do I see the total amount of money that is available for missions, external tithe, etc. Is there a report for that? I see the income and expense report... do I just run that and select a start date of when the church started? Or is there something better?

NeilZ

Re: Report for how much money is in what account?

Post by NeilZ »

ChristGuard wrote:Hey guys!
Neil Z has helped me a lot, and I bet he will respond here (if so, thank you!). I am trying to get this sorted out so we can hand it off to a church treasurer! Here is my current set back: I would like to (as Neil suggested) start having our church operate out of one checking account and allow PCP to do the hard work. I have set up my chart of accounts and things are moving nicely. I set up automatic percent transferring for contribution funds, and that looks like it is working nice as well. So, if I have a 2,000 offering and 4,000 Missions offering, PCP now designates 1,800 as Tithes and Offerings, 200 as external tithe (%10 of the offering), 3,600 is designated as Missions, and 400 is designated as External Missions Tithe. Great! That will save us a ton of time and help in handing this very important task off and getting it done Sundays after service!

However, we only spend our missions money once or twice a year as we send missionaries, how do I see the total amount of money that is available for missions, external tithe, etc. Is there a report for that? I see the income and expense report... do I just run that and select a start date of when the church started? Or is there something better?
Did you separate the missions money into a separate Accounting FUND?

We have five funds:

01 -Operating
MS- Missions
EF - Endowments
BD - Building
AS - Property Assets (building, etc)

All out of one checking account. The Accounting Fund Balances report shows us exactly how much money is available in each of them. You can use the Income & Expense report to see how much you've collected and spent in missions that year.

The separate fund would have individual income accounts to reflect the contributions to those mission areas that you have setup as automatic tithes.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

Nope! That is what I am missing! I will try setting that up today! Hey, if you are ever in Iowa I owe you lunch!

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

Ok, so I am setting up my new funds, things are going well. How do I transfer an account from one fund to another. For example, I have a church van asset account, I want to transfer that account (or the details thierin) to the AS fund I have just set up, how would I do that?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ChristGuard wrote:Ok, so I am setting up my new funds, things are going well. How do I transfer an account from one fund to another. For example, I have a church van asset account, I want to transfer that account (or the details thierin) to the AS fund I have just set up, how would I do that?
Are there funds in that account? If so after you do the next step, do the one after that.

1. To add the account, all you should have to do is in the Chart of Accounts, go to the account for the van. Add it to the new fund by clicking on the Add acct to fund[\i] button.

2. Do a backup (just in case)

3. Create a transaction to CR the old account and DB the new account, for example:

01-1700 Church VAN CR 17000.00
AS-1700 Church VAN DB 17000.00

I'm fairly sure that should work based on other advice given in this forum. My advice before you post run the Accounting Fund Balances report and print that. Then post the transaction, the old fund should show a reduction of funds, and the new account should show an addition. If not, restore the backup you took in step 2.

Let me know..
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

That worked great! However I still cannot delete the account from the old fund. I double checked the transaction posted and went through... but I still get the error

"The account can not be delete. Accounting Transaction history exists for this account. Please check that there are no transactions or a starting balance."

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ChristGuard wrote:That worked great! However I still cannot delete the account from the old fund. I double checked the transaction posted and went through... but I still get the error

"The account can not be delete. Accounting Transaction history exists for this account. Please check that there are no transactions or a starting balance."
That is correct, once you have posted information to it, you can't delete it unless you run the Delete Old Data function. Just make that account Inactive for the next 7 years. Which is how long the IRS says you must keep old information.

If you try to delete old data now, its a blanket delete, and will remove all history from the date you entered, probably stuff you want to keep for a while.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

If the account is inactive that mean I can't interact with it? I don't want to accidentally interact with the wrong account.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ChristGuard wrote:If the account is inactive that mean I can't interact with it? I don't want to accidentally interact with the wrong account.
That is correct. It will be inactive in the fund you have inactivated it for. If you try to use it, the system will issue an error.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

OK, one more question. I am almost set up! (And having an accountant friend set up our payroll, but that is neither here nor there). Since I am only using one bank account to manage multiple funds should I always use the general fund bank account as the Credit account? Or should I add that bank account to the other Funds as well?

tborgal

Post by tborgal »

As Neil pointed out in an earlier post in this thread. You would use the 2 digits used to number each accounting fund.
01 -Operating
MS- Missions
EF - Endowments
BD - Building
AS - Property Assets (building, etc)

So you would use:
01-1110 for operating
MS-1110 for Missions , etc.
Tom

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

Yeah, I have those set up. I was just wondering if power church thinks 01-1110-00 is a different bank account from MS-1110-00, or if it knows they are the same bank account. Does that make sense?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ChristGuard wrote:Yeah, I have those set up. I was just wondering if power church thinks 01-1110-00 is a different bank account from MS-1110-00, or if it knows they are the same bank account. Does that make sense?
The Account number, not the prefix is what ties it together, so when you write out a check, it will come out of the 1110-000 account, no matter if it was the Operations (01) or the Mission (MS).

The system will keep it all straight.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ChristGuard

Post by ChristGuard »

NeilZ wrote:The Account number, not the prefix is what ties it together, so when you write out a check, it will come out of the 1110-000 account, no matter if it was the Operations (01) or the Mission (MS).

The system will keep it all straight.
Thank you! That's exactly what I needed to know!