Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our local Bank

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

christybeth

Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our local Bank

Post by christybeth »

We are looking at doing Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our Bank and have never done offered this to our employees. I did some searching on the Forum and saw that PowerChurch used to offer Vanco as a service but that they are no longer offering this service. So, we are looking to our local Bank as a solution.

I have a few questions regarding the set-up and process for this though. I see that PowerChurch has a screen with NACHA File Options found under the Accounting tab - Payroll - Setup - Payroll Setup - Direct Deposit. Do I simply need to get the information from our bank and essentially fill in the blanks to get this set up? Is it that easy? Do I continue to run Payroll as I have previously for all of our employees and then the data basically gets routed to our bank and checks are directly deposited? This is all new so I'm trying to get a better understanding as to how it all works. How would our employees see their paystubs if we go this route? I've already contacted our bank and there are some forms we would need to sign to get this all set-up. Do they provide the info that I would use to fill out the NACHA File Options screen? As a note, I print 30-35 paychecks each payday. Thank you for your help!

NeilZ

Re: Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our local Bank

Post by NeilZ »

christybeth wrote:We are looking at doing Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our Bank and have never done offered this to our employees. I did some searching on the Forum and saw that PowerChurch used to offer Vanco as a service but that they are no longer offering this service. So, we are looking to our local Bank as a solution.

I have a few questions regarding the set-up and process for this though. I see that PowerChurch has a screen with NACHA File Options found under the Accounting tab - Payroll - Setup - Payroll Setup - Direct Deposit. Do I simply need to get the information from our bank and essentially fill in the blanks to get this set up? Is it that easy?

Well, first you need to setup Direct Deposit on each employee. You may want to review page 289 - Direct Deposit Setup which covers the main Payroll setup under File -> Preferences -> Accounting Setup Payroll DIrect Deposit Tab. This is the area where you turn on the direct deposit feature. Then once that's turned on, on Payroll's Maintain List of Employees look for the Payroll Information tab, where you will enter the employee's personal bank's routing number and their bank account number. You do that for each employee who wants direct deposit.
Do I continue to run Payroll as I have previously for all of our employees and then the data basically gets routed to our bank and checks are directly deposited? This is all new so I'm trying to get a better understanding as to how it all works.
Yes you would run Payroll, the system will process all the employees, you would print checks for those employees who still want a check, then click on the Create Direct Deposit File button which will create the file you would submit to your bank.
How would our employees see their paystubs if we go this route?

At the same time you print checks, you would print Paystubs using the Print Paystubs button.
I've already contacted our bank and there are some forms we would need to sign to get this all set-up. Do they provide the info that I would use to fill out the NACHA File Options screen? As a note, I print 30-35 paychecks each payday. Thank you for your help!
What I would do is print a screen print of the Payroll Direct Deposit Tab and take it to the bank when you bring back those forms. They should be able to help you with the information you need to get started.

However, don't forget, you have to get the Bank Routing Number and Bank Account number from each employee who wants direct deposit. They can get that info from their checks.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

christybeth

Post by christybeth »

NeilZ wrote:
christybeth wrote:We are looking at doing Direct Deposit of Paychecks with our Bank and have never done offered this to our employees. I did some searching on the Forum and saw that PowerChurch used to offer Vanco as a service but that they are no longer offering this service. So, we are looking to our local Bank as a solution.

I have a few questions regarding the set-up and process for this though. I see that PowerChurch has a screen with NACHA File Options found under the Accounting tab - Payroll - Setup - Payroll Setup - Direct Deposit. Do I simply need to get the information from our bank and essentially fill in the blanks to get this set up? Is it that easy?

Well, first you need to setup Direct Deposit on each employee. You may want to review page 289 - Direct Deposit Setup which covers the main Payroll setup under File -> Preferences -> Accounting Setup Payroll DIrect Deposit Tab. This is the area where you turn on the direct deposit feature. Then once that's turned on, on Payroll's Maintain List of Employees look for the Payroll Information tab, where you will enter the employee's personal bank's routing number and their bank account number. You do that for each employee who wants direct deposit.
I have the PowerChurch Plus Version 11.5 Reference book and the page you referenced (page 289) is for Pay Schedules and Pay Groups. The book I have has information for Setting up Direct Deposit on page 323 but PowerChurch has updated since then and the information is not quite accurate. Do you have a more current book that you are referencing that is available and has updated information including setting up Direct Deposits?
Do I continue to run Payroll as I have previously for all of our employees and then the data basically gets routed to our bank and checks are directly deposited? This is all new so I'm trying to get a better understanding as to how it all works.
Yes you would run Payroll, the system will process all the employees, you would print checks for those employees who still want a check, then click on the Create Direct Deposit File button which will create the file you would submit to your bank.
PowerChurch creates the file and then I send it to the Bank via PowerChurch or from my email as an attachment?
How would our employees see their paystubs if we go this route?

At the same time you print checks, you would print Paystubs using the Print Paystubs button.
If all of our employees opt to have direct deposit, am I able to print paystubs for all? Thank you so much for your assistance!
I've already contacted our bank and there are some forms we would need to sign to get this all set-up. Do they provide the info that I would use to fill out the NACHA File Options screen? As a note, I print 30-35 paychecks each payday. Thank you for your help!
What I would do is print a screen print of the Payroll Direct Deposit Tab and take it to the bank when you bring back those forms. They should be able to help you with the information you need to get started.

However, don't forget, you have to get the Bank Routing Number and Bank Account number from each employee who wants direct deposit. They can get that info from their checks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

I have the PowerChurch Plus Version 11.5 Reference book and the page you referenced (page 289) is for Pay Schedules and Pay Groups. The book I have has information for Setting up Direct Deposit on page 323 but PowerChurch has updated since then and the information is not quite accurate. Do you have a more current book that you are referencing that is available and has updated information including setting up Direct Deposits?
I'm using the page numbers of the PCPlus Manual PDF found in the c:\Powerchurch\PCPLUS115 directory, look for the file pcplus115.pdf
PowerChurch creates the file and then I send it to the Bank via PowerChurch or from my email as an attachment?
You would have to send it as an attachment as the bank directs, Powerchurch does not connect to any outside provider at this time.
If all of our employees opt to have direct deposit, am I able to print paystubs for all? Thank you so much for your assistance!
Yes, you'd print them from the Process Payroll function at the end of the process, just as you would when you were printing checks. In fact, you can still do both. You can have a mix of direct deposit and payroll checks. Just print the stubs, then print the checks at the end of the process.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

christybeth

Post by christybeth »

Is there any other way through PowerChurch or another program that you're familiar with for us to post pay stubs online rather than printing. It seems that the younger generations/Millennials do not want paper copies of pay stubs. They want things to be quicker and more efficient. I've started searching online and most of what I've seen are Payroll services but we would really like to stick with PowerChurch. Thanks again for your vast knowledge and I'm so thankful to have the updated manual now!!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

christybeth wrote:Is there any other way through PowerChurch or another program that you're familiar with for us to post pay stubs online rather than printing. It seems that the younger generations/Millennials do not want paper copies of pay stubs. They want things to be quicker and more efficient. I've started searching online and most of what I've seen are Payroll services but we would really like to stick with PowerChurch. Thanks again for your vast knowledge and I'm so thankful to have the updated manual now!!
The only other thing you can do is somewhat labor intensive.

1. Set the Payroll system under Preferences -> Accounting, Payroll tab to print 1 stub per page.
2. Install a PDF printer driver like one you can find at software995.com, free or just 19.95 (I think) for full license.
3. Print the stubs to a PDF.
4. Open that PDF, then page through each stub, printing each page to a separate PDF file.
5. Attach the file to an email to that employee.

As I said, somewhat labor intensive. What I would do is this:

Send an email to wishlist@powerchurch.com asking that a module to email paystubs be addred to the Payroll module. Give a detailed explanation of how this will help you with your workflow, and how much time it will save. I can't say that it will happen, but giving them notice that people would like this sort of thing does help them assign resources to program updates that will affect the most users.

FWIW ... you're going to pay more for a 'payroll' service because of a few people who don't want a paper stub, which is a very poor stewardship of the congregation's funds. I'd hold off for at least a few months to see if your request to the 'wishlist' pays off.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

NeilZ wrote:
christybeth wrote:Is there any other way through PowerChurch or another program that you're familiar with for us to post pay stubs online rather than printing. It seems that the younger generations/Millennials do not want paper copies of pay stubs. They want things to be quicker and more efficient. I've started searching online and most of what I've seen are Payroll services but we would really like to stick with PowerChurch. Thanks again for your vast knowledge and I'm so thankful to have the updated manual now!!
The only other thing you can do is somewhat labor intensive.

1. Set the Payroll system under Preferences -> Accounting, Payroll tab to print 1 stub per page.
2. Install a PDF printer driver like one you can find at software995.com, free or just 19.95 (I think) for full license.
3. Print the stubs to a PDF.
4. Open that PDF, then page through each stub, printing each page to a separate PDF file.
5. Attach the file to an email to that employee.

As I said, somewhat labor intensive. What I would do is this:

Send an email to wishlist@powerchurch.com asking that a module to email paystubs be addred to the Payroll module. Give a detailed explanation of how this will help you with your workflow, and how much time it will save. I can't say that it will happen, but giving them notice that people would like this sort of thing does help them assign resources to program updates that will affect the most users.

FWIW ... you're going to pay more for a 'payroll' service because of a few people who don't want a paper stub, which is a very poor stewardship of the congregation's funds. I'd hold off for at least a few months to see if your request to the 'wishlist' pays off.
You might be able to print to Microsoft One Note instead of installing a pdf printer. From One Note you can save as pdf under file, or email page under share.. Still labor intensive though.
Eugene