941 doesn't match trial balance

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

gloaming

941 doesn't match trial balance

Post by gloaming »

I was about to make our payroll tax deposit when I noticed that the 941 tax deposit report doesn't match the FICA and federal withholding accounts on the trial balance.

Here's what I believe happened: an employee lost his paycheck last week. I voided it and reissued it this week, but I didn't use the original pay date for his replacement check.

Taxes were already paid on his original paycheck (last week), but since I dated the replacement _this_ week, the 941 tax deposit report for this week shows the extra $8 and change. I believe the trial balance to be correct.

My instinct is to pay what the trial balance shows. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you so much for answering my questions!

NeilZ

Re: 941 doesn't match trial balance

Post by NeilZ »

gloaming wrote:I was about to make our payroll tax deposit when I noticed that the 941 tax deposit report doesn't match the FICA and federal withholding accounts on the trial balance.

Here's what I believe happened: an employee lost his paycheck last week. I voided it and reissued it this week, but I didn't use the original pay date for his replacement check.

Taxes were already paid on his original paycheck (last week), but since I dated the replacement _this_ week, the 941 tax deposit report for this week shows the extra $8 and change. I believe the trial balance to be correct.

My instinct is to pay what the trial balance shows. Is there anything else I need to do?

Thank you so much for answering my questions!
Did you void the check in Payroll, and then POST the Payroll ?? Where did you void the check? Unless it is done from Payroll, then posted, the payroll records (and 941 report) will not be updated.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

gloaming

Post by gloaming »

NeilZ wrote:
Did you void the check in Payroll, and then POST the Payroll ?? Where did you void the check? Unless it is done from Payroll, then posted, the payroll records (and 941 report) will not be updated.
Yes, I went through Payroll to void and post.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

gloaming wrote:
NeilZ wrote:
Yes, I went through Payroll to void and post.
So the trial balance shows what? $8 less than the 941, or $8 more?

Remember, the 941 report comes out of payroll, since you voided the one check, and replaced it with another but with a different date, the system will reflect what was done on the new date. It doesn't bother to look at what's in the liability account at all.

Do a 941 report for the period covering the two checks, and see what comes out of it.

My belief is that this was caused by the different date used on the replacement check, as you pointed out.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.