undo a credit memo

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Tammy/newlife

undo a credit memo

Post by Tammy/newlife »

I would like to undo a credit memo in AR and I do not see an option to do so. I prob mistakenly posted one as I began to learn to use these functions...but now I have an account statement for a vender that is incorrect. I tried to post another credit memo in the negative to fix it...but it took it as a positive anyway and now it's doubled. I'm trying to get the balance to 0 but have no way to do so. Neil do you have an suggestions. I am good in Fund Accounting, I just need to clear this up in AR and find no way to do it....and without messing up fund accounting.

NeilZ

Re: undo a credit memo

Post by NeilZ »

Tammy/newlife wrote:I would like to undo a credit memo in AR and I do not see an option to do so. I prob mistakenly posted one as I began to learn to use these functions...but now I have an account statement for a vender that is incorrect. I tried to post another credit memo in the negative to fix it...but it took it as a positive anyway and now it's doubled. I'm trying to get the balance to 0 but have no way to do so. Neil do you have an suggestions. I am good in Fund Accounting, I just need to clear this up in AR and find no way to do it....and without messing up fund accounting.
All the threads I was able to find was that you need to enter an invoice using negative amounts.

First off ,why are you using AR for vendors ?? I'll have to do some more research on this but first .. please let me know what you're doing there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tammy/newlife

Post by Tammy/newlife »

I called it a vender...but that is prob the wrong wording...as I saw someone else mention...there was no tutorial on AR so when I was going through this the first time it was trial and error. I am not an accountant or went to school for that...but I do the accounting for the church. I was trying to apply a payment to an invoice and maybe it was the first time not knowing what I was doing I applied a credit memo instead of maintain open payments.

We have tennants who rent out space in our buildings...they pay a monthly fee (rent). As I stated I tried to get into something that would change credit memo...but other than placing a - sign in from an amount...which is what I did...it did not prove to have the results I was hoping for.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tammy/newlife wrote:I called it a vender...but that is prob the wrong wording...as I saw someone else mention...there was no tutorial on AR so when I was going through this the first time it was trial and error. I am not an accountant or went to school for that...but I do the accounting for the church. I was trying to apply a payment to an invoice and maybe it was the first time not knowing what I was doing I applied a credit memo instead of maintain open payments.

We have tennants who rent out space in our buildings...they pay a monthly fee (rent). As I stated I tried to get into something that would change credit memo...but other than placing a - sign in from an amount...which is what I did...it did not prove to have the results I was hoping for.
Have you posted these to Funds Accounting yet? If not, have you tried entering the negative amount to clear the invoice? If that didn't work ... let us know. You may need to call Powerchurch direct to clear that up.

As far as using AR here's a quick tutorial for how you're using AR:

Open up Accounting -> Accounts Receivable -> Quick Menu so that you have the AR functions readily available.

1. You need to setup the Item Description, you can create one if the rent is all the same, or create one for each area. I'd go with just creating one, and adjusting the amount as needed.
2. You then need to add the 'Customer Records' for each tenant.
3. I would then create an invoice for each tenant using "Maintain Repeating Invoices" using the Item you created in step 1, and adjusting the amount for each customer as needed.

What you've just done is setup a standard invoice personalized for each tenant. This way at the beginning of the month you can pull up these repeating invoices instead of having to create one each time.

Then when the tenant pays their rent use the Maintain Open Payments to reflect the payment.

Let us know if the negative amount on the invoice worked or not.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tammy/newlife

Post by Tammy/newlife »

I have tried everything to fix this and it is a complete mess! I am extremely frustrated. everything I try makes it worse...I just need to be able to go into each system and enter a transaction and the way this is set up, I can't do what I need to to fix it. awefull!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tammy/newlife wrote:I have tried everything to fix this and it is a complete mess! I am extremely frustrated. everything I try makes it worse...I just need to be able to go into each system and enter a transaction and the way this is set up, I can't do what I need to to fix it. awefull!
It has been six or seven weeks since I last replied to you. Could you let me know what you have tried. As I mentioned, you will probably have to call Powerchurch direct to assist you with fixing this, as trying to do this via the forum is not easy.

The good news is that in the newly released version 12, the process to clean up such things is much easier. I know it doesn't help you now, but it is now there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tammy/newlife

Post by Tammy/newlife »

Yes Niel...thank you for looking at it...so at this point, I was trying to get balances down to 0 on the account statement in A/R for one of our customers. (I was calling them a vender) I made mistakes in the system and tried to fix them which made them worse. What I have now is an invoice which I put 2 charges that were unreal to help make the balance go to 0. I did accomplish this on the account statement however now I can't clear my invoice because in reality those 2 items were not actually paid for. This is because I had a negative amount still in the system. So I guess my question is if I do another credit memo to this invoice does it keep the account statement to 0 or am I going to show a "-" again?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tammy/newlife wrote:Yes Niel...thank you for looking at it...so at this point, I was trying to get balances down to 0 on the account statement in A/R for one of our customers. (I was calling them a vender) I made mistakes in the system and tried to fix them which made them worse. What I have now is an invoice which I put 2 charges that were unreal to help make the balance go to 0. I did accomplish this on the account statement however now I can't clear my invoice because in reality those 2 items were not actually paid for. This is because I had a negative amount still in the system. So I guess my question is if I do another credit memo to this invoice does it keep the account statement to 0 or am I going to show a "-" again?
Hmm ... hard to say. My advice is call Powerchurch support, this is at a point where trying to adjust this via the forum is not a good idea.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Tammy/newlife

Post by Tammy/newlife »

cowabunga!!! so here is an update on this original post. Thank God the A/R has been updated!!! I have been able to resolve all issues. Able to now go in and correct things at will. That which I could not do before, I am now able. With that said, there is still a little problem that comes up that I hope they can fix. If a customer pays only a portion ie bal due invoice 11 is $500. They paid $450. Next invoice13 $500 and they paid full. Next in15 same due but they paid $450 and finally corrected their bal due with a check of $100. eventhough I put it in the system under the correct dates and amounts....the running account statement did not take it the way it was placed in and did a running balance as so....500
it applied -50 from a 500 paid to apply to 1st invoice and not the one it was paid for

did it again the 2nd time so it was still messed up

when the 100 came in it all balance out, but the payments were applied to the incorrect invoices automatically...this all threw off dates amounts and all kinds of things.
This needs to be the next correction to the system. Soooo thankful we got what we did though.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Tammy/newlife wrote:cowabunga!!! so here is an update on this original post. Thank God the A/R has been updated!!! I have been able to resolve all issues. Able to now go in and correct things at will. That which I could not do before, I am now able. With that said, there is still a little problem that comes up that I hope they can fix. If a customer pays only a portion ie bal due invoice 11 is $500. They paid $450. Next invoice13 $500 and they paid full. Next in15 same due but they paid $450 and finally corrected their bal due with a check of $100. eventhough I put it in the system under the correct dates and amounts....the running account statement did not take it the way it was placed in and did a running balance as so....500
it applied -50 from a 500 paid to apply to 1st invoice and not the one it was paid for

did it again the 2nd time so it was still messed up

when the 100 came in it all balance out, but the payments were applied to the incorrect invoices automatically...this all threw off dates amounts and all kinds of things.
This needs to be the next correction to the system. Soooo thankful we got what we did though.
I take it you upgraded to v12 ??

I suggest that if you were working with someone at Powerchurch on the problem, that you call them back with this issue so they can hear the exact issue directly from you.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

Hi Tammy,

When you record a payment it will automatically pay off older invoices first. You can go override which invoices get paid and not apply the payment to the older invoice if that is what you want.

The account statement shows a running balance of the account and does not show individual balances of invoices. So in your example it should show a $100 balance due but it does not break it down to what invoices the $100 is due to.

If this is not what you are seeing, please call into support so we can better understand what is happening.

Thanks
Jeff