Reversing a reversal?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

dhopper

Reversing a reversal?

Post by dhopper »

I am new to PowerChurch and am trying to reconcile the January bank statement. I have 2 problems - hope someone can help.
First mistake - The first 3 contributions I made were backwards (credited and debited the wrong way), so I went back in and reversed them by clicking on the Reverse button. Forgot to post the transaction, thought it didn't take, so I did it again! Then I had a Contribution Reverse - Reverse. So I called PowerChurch and they got me straightened out - I thought. However, now that I am finally trying to do bank reconciliation I assumed I would need to mark as cleared the deposit and check items that cancelled each other out and would then be left with the correct amount in the Deposit section a second time so I could actually clear it. However, when I do that, I have no items left in the deposit section and what is left in the Checks section shows this:

CONTRIB-CORRECT 01/07/2018 $ 330.00

This looks like it might need to be in the Deposits section instead of the Checks section, but I don't know what to do with it.

Am I wrong in thinking that I should have 2 Contributions and 1 Reversal for these deposits to actually be counting correctly?

Why do I have this Correction amount in the Checks section without a corresponding one at all in the Deposit section?

I am so confused now. Thanks!

NeilZ

Re: Reversing a reversal?

Post by NeilZ »

dhopper wrote:I am new to PowerChurch and am trying to reconcile the January bank statement. I have 2 problems - hope someone can help.
First mistake - The first 3 contributions I made were backwards (credited and debited the wrong way), so I went back in and reversed them by clicking on the Reverse button. Forgot to post the transaction, thought it didn't take, so I did it again! Then I had a Contribution Reverse - Reverse. So I called PowerChurch and they got me straightened out - I thought. However, now that I am finally trying to do bank reconciliation I assumed I would need to mark as cleared the deposit and check items that cancelled each other out and would then be left with the correct amount in the Deposit section a second time so I could actually clear it. However, when I do that, I have no items left in the deposit section and what is left in the Checks section shows this:

CONTRIB-CORRECT 01/07/2018 $ 330.00

This looks like it might need to be in the Deposits section instead of the Checks section, but I don't know what to do with it.

Am I wrong in thinking that I should have 2 Contributions and 1 Reversal for these deposits to actually be counting correctly?

Why do I have this Correction amount in the Checks section without a corresponding one at all in the Deposit section?

I am so confused now. Thanks!
Anytime you do a reversal or void in Powerchurch there are two items that then appear in the Reconcilations:

1. an entry under DEPOSITS and Other Additions
2. and entry under CHECKS and Other Subtractions.

First off, I always advise that before you do ANYTHING you're not sure of, use the Powerchurch BACKUP utility found under the Utilities menu of Powerchurch. It will allow you to backup only the Accounting files, which is what you want to do here.

Now the question is what is the bottom line on the Reconciliation? Is it off by $300.00, whether positive or negative? I suspect that if everything else on the bank statement has been checked off, and the deposit for 01/07/2018 is already checked off. Then you may have missed something and entered an additional 'correction' or forgot to add a reversal. FWIW .. when a reversal is done, the system will put 'reverse' (or 'void') in the description.

I would do the backup, then find the above transaction under Accounting -> Funds Accounting -> View Posted Transactions and reverse it. Then post it and go back into Reconciliation. You'll see the reversal under Deposits, so clear that, then clear the transaction under Checks.

If this doesn't work, you then can restore the Accounting backup to return the system back to where it was before the changes.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

dhopper

Post by dhopper »

Okay, so I have a new problem. I am working on my home laptop and tried to do a backup of my files. The only choice it gives me is to do a back up on the network (Z:\\ drive). It does show a desktop (but it's not mine), and other network drives (also not mine), but no option for my jump drive or even any folder on my laptop (and I can't select any of them anyway). Now what do I do?? I did a temporary backup to the Z:\\ drive but got a warning that it was only a temporary backup, that I should select my local drive etc. Of course I can't select one. Guess I'll have to call the Help Desk in the morning. Thanks for your help though.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dhopper wrote:Okay, so I have a new problem. I am working on my home laptop and tried to do a backup of my files. The only choice it gives me is to do a back up on the network (Z:\\ drive). It does show a desktop (but it's not mine), and other network drives (also not mine), but no option for my jump drive or even any folder on my laptop (and I can't select any of them anyway). Now what do I do?? I did a temporary backup to the Z:\\ drive but got a warning that it was only a temporary backup, that I should select my local drive etc. Of course I can't select one. Guess I'll have to call the Help Desk in the morning. Thanks for your help though.
Are you using Powerchurch Online?

This knowledgebase article will help. These are available under the SUPPORT menu from the main Powerchurch page:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/77/ ... ving-files
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

dhopper

Post by dhopper »

Thanks so much! I have my backup done, and everything looks good - EXCEPT for one small item. We have some outstanding checks (total of $3243.08) that were somehow not put in when we started PC+ but they are included in out beginning balance. I can call PC and get them to input these (they've already had to do several others for us - not our fault, it was a PC issue). However, when I do that, my adjusted balance will be correct in my reconciliation statement at $14,004.45, but my Account 1110 balance on the reconciliation page shows $11,700.36. I can see at a glance that this is not going to match up, but how can I resolve this so my Account 1110 balance will be correct? I hope this is my last question for a while - thanks again for your help.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

dhopper wrote:Thanks so much! I have my backup done, and everything looks good - EXCEPT for one small item. We have some outstanding checks (total of $3243.08) that were somehow not put in when we started PC+ but they are included in out beginning balance. I can call PC and get them to input these (they've already had to do several others for us - not our fault, it was a PC issue). However, when I do that, my adjusted balance will be correct in my reconciliation statement at $14,004.45, but my Account 1110 balance on the reconciliation page shows $11,700.36. I can see at a glance that this is not going to match up, but how can I resolve this so my Account 1110 balance will be correct? I hope this is my last question for a while - thanks again for your help.
The problem is that these checks should have been added before you finished the accounting setup.

If you used your local check register statement as of say, 1 January as a starting point; then added the uncleared checks written prior to that date during the accounting setup, Powerchurch would have recognized that and added that to the bank balance.

So if you had 1000.00 as the register balance, and 400.00 in uncleared checks, then Powerchurch would list 1400.00 as the starting balance, and that's what you would have seen as the account 1110-000 balance prior to the reconciliation.

My suggestion, I'd ask the help desk for assistance, as they may have a better idea than what I'm thinking.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

dhopper

Post by dhopper »

Yes, that's what they have been doing for us. We did enter all the uncleared checks, but apparently there was a PowerChurch glitch and they were not showing in our reconciliation. Powerchurch has been awesome and has gotten all them back in for us. But we are still off, with no explanation as to why. We are going to fix it and move on. Thanks again for your help.