State Tax Calculation Error

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

emarino

State Tax Calculation Error

Post by emarino »

I happened to notice something strange with payroll this week. When I got to the final payroll screen I wanted to check something, so I clicked on the payroll item detail for one of our employees. At that point, I noticed that the net amount of the check was different on that screen from the net amount on the summary screen. I printed a paystub for the employee and it turned out that the Massachusetts state tax amount differed on the stub from the amount on the detail screen. I don't know if this was the first time this happened, or the first time I caught it. Not sure waht to do, I deleted the state tax item from the employee then readded it. I changed nothing about the entry. After I did this, the amounts were the same. This was done in PowerChurch online. To make sure I didn't imagine all this, I tried the same thing in a sandbox system I keep around, and I got the exact same results. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?

NeilZ

Re: State Tax Calculation Error

Post by NeilZ »

emarino wrote:I happened to notice something strange with payroll this week. When I got to the final payroll screen I wanted to check something, so I clicked on the payroll item detail for one of our employees. At that point, I noticed that the net amount of the check was different on that screen from the net amount on the summary screen. I printed a paystub for the employee and it turned out that the Massachusetts state tax amount differed on the stub from the amount on the detail screen. I don't know if this was the first time this happened, or the first time I caught it. Not sure waht to do, I deleted the state tax item from the employee then readded it. I changed nothing about the entry. After I did this, the amounts were the same. This was done in PowerChurch online. To make sure I didn't imagine all this, I tried the same thing in a sandbox system I keep around, and I got the exact same results. Has anyone else ever experienced anything like this?
I've not seen this happen in regular Powerchurch, but since you have PCPlus Online I would suggestt you call the help line to have them check to see if there's an issue.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

emarino

Re: State Tax Calculation Error

Post by emarino »

It happens with PowerChurch Plus and PowerChurch Online. We converted to Online just this week, so I still have the Plus environment around, and I saw the behavior in both systems. I was tempted to let this go, since I found a way to fix it, i.e., deleting the state tax record and then re-adding it. But as an ex-programmer, that goes against my nature. After playing with this for a few hours, I was able to replicate the behavior, more than once. I actually have an example of the behavior, so I will report it to support.