Accounts Receivable - Applying a credit memo

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

tjewell001

Accounts Receivable - Applying a credit memo

Post by tjewell001 »

I have a customer that has several invoices, with a balance due of $2,725.00. This customer also has one credit memo available for $275.

One of the invoices is for $275, and I am trying to apply the credit memo of $275 to the invoice of $275. It isn't letting me do it without a message.

I am going into the customer, clicking on the "Credit Memo" tab, and then clicking on "Apply Credit Memo". I make sure the invoice for $275 is selected/highlighted. However, I notice that it is also trying to apply amounts to all of my other open invoices. I do not want this.
If I zero out the apply amount to zero for each invoice except the $275, then when I click save I get the following message:
"Payment amount cannot be more than the balance due"

I am confused by this. The payment amount...in this case credit memo of $275, is to be applied against a $275 open invoice. End of story. Credit memo washes with the invoice.
The payment amount is certainly NOT more than the balance due. The TOTAL balance due for the customer is $2,725. I am only trying to apply the $275 credit memo to one $275 invoice.

If I simply click on "Apply Credit Memo", and then click Save, it does save, and it does calculate the correct new balance due, but it applies the $275 credit memo against the invoice, and then applies a negative amount to EVERY other open invoice the customer has, and that is NOT what I want. PowerChurch then shows a negative amount "PAID" against every other open invoice.
I want one credit memo to apply against one invoice....period.
I can send you more details on this customer and all of the open invoices if that helps. It should be a very simple thing to apply a single credit memo against a single invoice, WITHOUT affecting any other open invoice for that customer.

Thank you.

NeilZ

Re: Accounts Receivable - Applying a credit memo

Post by NeilZ »

Have you tried entering a ZERO in the Amount column on the invoices you don't want funds against?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tjewell001

Post by tjewell001 »

Hi,

Yes I have. I have put zero's in the amount field for all of the other invoices that I want NOTHING applied against. When I do that,
leaving a $275 invoice to apply against a $275 credit memo, this is when I get the message that the "Payment amount cannot be more than the balance due"

This cannot be right. If it's looking at the customer's total balance due, that is over $2,000, and I am only trying to apply a $275 credit memo.
If it's looking at the application amount, it is only $275 credit memo against a $275 invoice.
This should be simple and easy, and I don't understand why PowerChurch doesn't allow me to simply apply this credit memo to the invoice.

Something for the wishlist....when applying a credit memo, it would be nice to have check boxes that would allow you to select the invoices you want to apply the credit memo to.
Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tjewell001 wrote:Hi,

Yes I have. I have put zero's in the amount field for all of the other invoices that I want NOTHING applied against. When I do that,
leaving a $275 invoice to apply against a $275 credit memo, this is when I get the message that the "Payment amount cannot be more than the balance due"

This cannot be right. If it's looking at the customer's total balance due, that is over $2,000, and I am only trying to apply a $275 credit memo.
If it's looking at the application amount, it is only $275 credit memo against a $275 invoice.
This should be simple and easy, and I don't understand why PowerChurch doesn't allow me to simply apply this credit memo to the invoice.

Something for the wishlist....when applying a credit memo, it would be nice to have check boxes that would allow you to select the invoices you want to apply the credit memo to.
Thanks.
Are you using version 12? As I can do that, enter zeros, and assign the credit memo to one invoice.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tjewell001

Post by tjewell001 »

Hi,

Yes I am using version 12. I don't know why it's not working, but when I zero out the amounts, and select the one invoice I want to apply the credit memo to, I get that "Payment cannot be more than the balance due message".

I have noticed that when I have a customer with only one open invoice, then I can apply a credit memo to the invoice just fine.
However, with customers that have several open invoices, and I try to apply a credit memo to one of the invoices, but not all (zeroing out the amounts) that's when I run into this issue and get this message.

This looks like it's a programming glitch with PowerChurch....It will apply a credit memo when there is only one outstanding invoice, but not when there are several. Even though you select just one invoice to apply, it won't let you do it.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

tjewell001 wrote:Hi,

Yes I am using version 12. I don't know why it's not working, but when I zero out the amounts, and select the one invoice I want to apply the credit memo to, I get that "Payment cannot be more than the balance due message".

I have noticed that when I have a customer with only one open invoice, then I can apply a credit memo to the invoice just fine.
However, with customers that have several open invoices, and I try to apply a credit memo to one of the invoices, but not all (zeroing out the amounts) that's when I run into this issue and get this message.

This looks like it's a programming glitch with PowerChurch....It will apply a credit memo when there is only one outstanding invoice, but not when there are several. Even though you select just one invoice to apply, it won't let you do it.
OK ... just to be sure, do you have the latest MR installed? Its dated 9/12/2018
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

tjewell001

Post by tjewell001 »

Yes, the latest MR is installed...9/12/18