Payroll-voided checks don't show up; W-2s are still wrong

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

bjwhitson

Payroll-voided checks don't show up; W-2s are still wrong

Post by bjwhitson »

I started using version 12 in July 2018 with a desktop version of Windows 10. I'm inputting data into PC+ as we continue to use another software package until we can balance both systems.

Payroll - in August, I processed a check for an employee.
Gross Salary - $876.19
SSI/Med/SIT ($101.27)
Net check = $774.92
In the Payroll module, there is another check for the same date, same check number, same deductions, same gross and net amounts with a note that says "Check voided 9/6/2018 by SYSTEM ADMIN. There is no voided check showing in the payroll module for that employee with that amount. I know that I cannot delete payroll entries from this module like I can unposted transactions in Fund Accounting (which I normally don't do).

The year-to-date Salary account is correct in Fund Accounting for this employee. When I tried to print a Form 941, to compare it to the other software package which actually produced the 941 to send to the IRS, Line 2, Wages, tips, and other compensation, is overstated by $876.19. When I viewed a W-2 for this employee, the Salary amount in Box 1, Wages, tips, other, is also overstated by $876.19.

Multiply this by 5 other employees.

I need to correct this in Payroll but not in Fund Accounting. I'm just not sure how to fix it.
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Re: Payroll-voided checks don't show up; W-2s are still wron

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:I started using version 12 in July 2018 with a desktop version of Windows 10. I'm inputting data into PC+ as we continue to use another software package until we can balance both systems.

Payroll - in August, I processed a check for an employee.
Gross Salary - $876.19
SSI/Med/SIT ($101.27)
Net check = $774.92
In the Payroll module, there is another check for the same date, same check number, same deductions, same gross and net amounts with a note that says "Check voided 9/6/2018 by SYSTEM ADMIN. There is no voided check showing in the payroll module for that employee with that amount. I know that I cannot delete payroll entries from this module like I can unposted transactions in Fund Accounting (which I normally don't do).

The year-to-date Salary account is correct in Fund Accounting for this employee. When I tried to print a Form 941, to compare it to the other software package which actually produced the 941 to send to the IRS, Line 2, Wages, tips, and other compensation, is overstated by $876.19. When I viewed a W-2 for this employee, the Salary amount in Box 1, Wages, tips, other, is also overstated by $876.19.

Multiply this by 5 other employees.

I need to correct this in Payroll but not in Fund Accounting. I'm just not sure how to fix it.
Did you post that voided check?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I don't have a voided check in Fund Accounting. I found the "View Accounting Audit log" under Setup in Fund Accounting and see where, on the same date and time, the check was voided in Payroll. Immediately afterwards, there is a deleted unposted transaction from Fund Accounting, but Payroll was not posted after the voided check was processed.
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:I don't have a voided check in Fund Accounting. I found the "View Accounting Audit log" under Setup in Fund Accounting and see where, on the same date and time, the check was voided in Payroll. Immediately afterwards, there is a deleted unposted transaction from Fund Accounting, but Payroll was not posted after the voided check was processed.
Are you doing these deletes and voids? Payroll needs to be posted in order for its database to be corrected.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

The bookkeeper and I have both been working on these transactions.

Here's the sequence of activity -
1. printed checks and posted payroll.
2. deleted an unposted transaction in Fund Accounting
3. voided 7 checks in Payroll
4. Deleted 7 unposted transactions in Fund accounting
5. posted Accounts payable.
6. deleted 2 unposted transactions in Fund Accounting
7. posted Fund Accounting
8. deleted 3 unposted transactions in Fun Accounting
9. Posted Fund Accounting
10. deleted 7 unposted checks in Payroll
11 . voided a check, then posted Payroll.
12 . printed checks, then posted Payroll.

every time I voided, deleted or printed a check, I posted payroll.( I wish the system audit log showed something to give me a indication exactly what the transaction was.) Right now, the only unposted payroll entries are for October checks.

Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:The bookkeeper and I have both been working on these transactions.

Here's the sequence of activity -
1. printed checks and posted payroll.
2. deleted an unposted transaction in Fund Accounting
3. voided 7 checks in Payroll
4. Deleted 7 unposted transactions in Fund accounting
5. posted Accounts payable.
6. deleted 2 unposted transactions in Fund Accounting
7. posted Fund Accounting
8. deleted 3 unposted transactions in Fun Accounting
9. Posted Fund Accounting
10. deleted 7 unposted checks in Payroll
11 . voided a check, then posted Payroll.
12 . printed checks, then posted Payroll.

every time I voided, deleted or printed a check, I posted payroll.( I wish the system audit log showed something to give me a indication exactly what the transaction was.) Right now, the only unposted payroll entries are for October checks.

Betsy

Why are you deleting unposted transactions or checks?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

Good question - I think we were having problems with tax withholding and/or accounts while dealing with processing in two different software systems. I think I was trying to get my transactions in PC+ to replicate what was going on in Peachtree Accounting. Sometimes it's easier to get rid of an unposted transaction and start over than to reverse, correct and then reverse again with posted transactions. Somehow we've gotten our Financial reports correct but the payroll reports are showing this extra check somewhere.

I'm almost ready to hang it up and restart in January :wall:
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:Good question - I think we were having problems with tax withholding and/or accounts while dealing with processing in two different software systems. I think I was trying to get my transactions in PC+ to replicate what was going on in Peachtree Accounting. Sometimes it's easier to get rid of an unposted transaction and start over than to reverse, correct and then reverse again with posted transactions. Somehow we've gotten our Financial reports correct but the payroll reports are showing this extra check somewhere.

I'm almost ready to hang it up and restart in January :wall:
Trying to duplicate what you're seeing in another software program can sometimes be difficult, as the other program may use a different calculation for tax withholding. Powerchurch usually uses the IRS Annual Tables (both single & married) while the other program may use a monthly table.

That said, that 'extra' check is probably only showing in the Payroll module. I suspect that if you see what the gross income to date is for that employee in Payroll, you'll see a difference in the Income & Expense report in Funds Accounting by that 'extra' check.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

We do, that's how I knew we had a problem. We are trying to use PC+ for paychecks and tax reporting for the 4th quarter. That's why I trying to figure out how to get the Payroll Module fixed.
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:We do, that's how I knew we had a problem. We are trying to use PC+ for paychecks and tax reporting for the 4th quarter. That's why I trying to figure out how to get the Payroll Module fixed.
Did you try voiding another check for that employee?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I will and see what happens.
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:I will and see what happens.
Backup the Accounting database first so you can revert if needs be.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

I backed up the data just in case. I ended up going into the payroll module and voiding a check that appeared to have already been voided. Then I posted to the payroll module only, not fund accounting. I went to the tax reporting option and printed W-2s and it appears that the information is correct. The 941 report appears to have the correct data as well. Still not real sure exactly how all these voided transactions were processed, but I think I'm back in business!
Betsy
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bjwhitson wrote:I backed up the data just in case. I ended up going into the payroll module and voiding a check that appeared to have already been voided. Then I posted to the payroll module only, not fund accounting. I went to the tax reporting option and printed W-2s and it appears that the information is correct. The 941 report appears to have the correct data as well. Still not real sure exactly how all these voided transactions were processed, but I think I'm back in business!
Betsy
Excellent ... I had to think this through before I gave you my last suggestion. When you told me that the extra amount was only showing up in the Payroll module, I figured that was where the fix had to be made.

As far as the VOID, something got messed up somehow. I've not seen any other reports like this so I suspect it was something that was not properly accomplished on your system. Possibly if a void was deleted from the unposted payroll queue. This would cause such an issue as the void/reversal transaction was not posted to the Payroll module thus leaving the original data in the system.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

bjwhitson

Post by bjwhitson »

Thanks for your help, Neil!
BJW
Finance Committee-HPC
PC+ user since 2008
Grayson, GA