Unrestricted Net Assets

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

cbrown

Unrestricted Net Assets

Post by cbrown »

Neil, what is the definition of unrestricted net assets? How is the number calculated? It may be intuitively obvious to most folks, but I just don't get it. Thanks.
Charlie

NeilZ

Re: Unrestricted Net Assets

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:Neil, what is the definition of unrestricted net assets? How is the number calculated? It may be intuitively obvious to most folks, but I just don't get it. Thanks.
Charlie
I've found that this reference has helped me:

https://www.fool.com/knowledge-center/u ... ssets.aspx
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask what is the math that goes into 01-3110. What accounts add up to make that number? Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

cbrown wrote:Sorry, my question wasn't clear. I meant to ask what is the math that goes into 01-3110. What accounts add up to make that number? Thanks.
Basically, everything that's not restricted. Take a look at the dependencies report, you'll see income, and you'll see expenses.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

cbrown

Post by cbrown »

Thanks!

TonyL222

Post by TonyL222 »

As a follow up, how are you tracking restricted donations? Before PC+ included the Donor Restriction module, We'd set up separate funds. Now we use the Donor Restrictions.

By using that the Total Net Assets and the Total Restricted Assets are shown on the balance sheet. The difference in the two is then the unrestricted net assets.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

TonyL222 wrote:As a follow up, how are you tracking restricted donations? Before PC+ included the Donor Restriction module, We'd set up separate funds. Now we use the Donor Restrictions.

By using that the Total Net Assets and the Total Restricted Assets are shown on the balance sheet. The difference in the two is then the unrestricted net assets.
Um .. the Balance Sheet should show both the Unrestricted Net Assets and in a separate section, the Restricted Net Assets. Both areas also show any breakdowns into individual net asset (fund balance) accounts.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.