Return of Youth Event Funds

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GregJohnson

Return of Youth Event Funds

Post by GregJohnson »

Our Youth group went to a Youth event recently, and I provided funds to the Youth Pastor to purchase what he needed on the way (gas, food, etc.). He didn't use all the money I gave him, and returned the difference.

I'm brand new to PowerChurch; in fact, I'm trying to finalize my first week of donations now. I've been using QuickBooks, and I would add a line to the weekly deposit to debit the bank account, and credit the original expense account. How would I do that in PowerChurch? Or at least, how would I show that I made a deposit for the unused funds crediting the expense account?

NeilZ

Re: Return of Youth Event Funds

Post by NeilZ »

GregJohnson wrote:Our Youth group went to a Youth event recently, and I provided funds to the Youth Pastor to purchase what he needed on the way (gas, food, etc.). He didn't use all the money I gave him, and returned the difference.

I'm brand new to PowerChurch; in fact, I'm trying to finalize my first week of donations now. I've been using QuickBooks, and I would add a line to the weekly deposit to debit the bank account, and credit the original expense account. How would I do that in PowerChurch? Or at least, how would I show that I made a deposit for the unused funds crediting the expense account?
You should create a SEPARATE deposit for this, and leave the deposit from the Contributions module alone.

1. Under Accounting -> FUNDS ACCOUNTING -> Enter Transaction.
2. Enter a Reference , and a transaction description.
3. Then find the checking account by clicking in the first transaction line. The Checking account 'should' show up, but if not press the F2 function key to bring up the list.
4. Enter the amount to be deposited as a DEBIT
5. On the next line find the expense account (using the F2 key if necessary) then add the amount as a CREDIT.
6. Fill out a separate deposit slip and bring to the bank.

This insures that the system is properly updated, gives an audit trail of the separate returned amount, and will show as a separate deposit on the bank statement, and PCPlus reconciliation.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GregJohnson

Post by GregJohnson »

Thank you! I did all of that. What does the Journal code of GE mean?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GregJohnson wrote:Thank you! I did all of that. What does the Journal code of GE mean?
General Entry - the code applies to any transaction entered via the Enter Transaction function of the Funds Accounting module. The others you'll see are Accounts Payable (AP), Payroll (PR), and Contributions (CO).
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.