Reconcile Statement in PC from years ago

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

AnnyLIAC

Reconcile Statement in PC from years ago

Post by AnnyLIAC »

Hello,
I would like to use the bank reconcile function in Powerchurch which my previous bookkeeper never did. The system has record from January 2008 but I am only able to retrieve statement up to 2015 from the bank. What advice would you have to help me reconcile so that the ending balance in Powerchurch would agree with my latest statement?

NeilZ

Re: Reconcile Statement in PC from years ago

Post by NeilZ »

AnnyLIAC wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 8:34 pm
Hello,
I would like to use the bank reconcile function in Powerchurch which my previous bookkeeper never did. The system has record from January 2008 but I am only able to retrieve statement up to 2015 from the bank. What advice would you have to help me reconcile so that the ending balance in Powerchurch would agree with my latest statement?
What I would do is this. First do a backup of the accounting database.

Find your bank statement from December 2021 (I'm assuming that your fiscal year is the calendar year as many church's are). Use the date of that statement as well as the bank balance from that statement in the Reconcile window. When you get to the list of deposits and checks, select every single one of them. My advice is to use the SPACEBAR to do this as I'm going to assume you have a LOT of entries to clear.

HOPEFULLY, at the end of all that the reconcile window shows a To Balance of ZERO. I'm sure that if the reconciliations were done on paper for all those years without issue, this process should also come out with a proper To Balance of zero.

Then Process the 3 bank statements for 2020, doing each one individually. You should then be up to date.

Let us know how it goes. Again ... don't forget to do that Accounting database backup just in case something does not come out right when you do that large set of entries.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

AnnyLIAC

Post by AnnyLIAC »

Thank you Neil for your reply. So just to ensure I understand correctly, I should use the December 2021 bank statement, but the ending balance in Powerchurch reconciliation table, then in both the income (top window) and expense (bottom window) I am to select all the entries and with the space bar, make all the entries to C status. And then see whether the balance will come to zero at the bottom, is this correct?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

AnnyLIAC wrote:
Thu Apr 14, 2022 8:42 am
Thank you Neil for your reply. So just to ensure I understand correctly, I should use the December 2021 bank statement, but the ending balance in Powerchurch reconciliation table, then in both the income (top window) and expense (bottom window) I am to select all the entries and with the space bar, make all the entries to C status. And then see whether the balance will come to zero at the bottom, is this correct?
Once you select Reconcile, you'll see the date and amount entry screen. The screen will default to the checking account number (normally 1110). Then enter the date of the December 2021 statement (I'm going to assume its 12/31/2021) for the Statement Date, and the Balance per statement as of that date from the STATEMENT. Leave the other options at the default.

The only way you will be able to select the entries is by tapping on the space bar to turn each entry to cleared and move to the next entry. As I said, you'll be 'tapping' for a while. Yes, you'll be doing this in both windows.

As I said, hopefully you'll see 0.00 in the To balance block.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

jurnie05@11

Post by jurnie05@11 »

Hi Neil,
I have a question about the previous post. What if they don't see the 0.00 in the balance block? What are you supposed to do next?
Tonja

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

jurnie05@11 wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:28 pm
Hi Neil,
I have a question about the previous post. What if they don't see the 0.00 in the balance block? What are you supposed to do next?
Tonja
In the previous case, since they were manually doing the reconciliation and not using the system, and each manual reconciliation turned out OK, by clearing out all the entries prior to the date of the first statement along with the December entries as shown in the statement, I was sure that it would turn out OK.

If they weren't any sort of reconciliation, I would have advised doing all the reconciliations starting from the beginning to ensure that they would turn out OK.

If you've been doing Powerchurch reconciliations and you have a month where you don't get a zero, that means you would need to check every entry you checked off to make sure they cleared the bank. Nine out of ten times, you may have cleared something in Powerchurch accidentally; or the bank has a different number; or a deposit didn't clear, or so on.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.