Editing Acc't Numbers in Posted Transactions

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Flint Calvary

Editing Acc't Numbers in Posted Transactions

Post by Flint Calvary »

My understanding is that I have to delete the original (posted) transaction; change the working month, then re-post it with the correct account number used ... but I can't find in my manual where or how to delete a posted transaction. Please advise or if there's a way to do this a different way.

PowerChurch has been a bit glitchy for us and before you ask, yes, we're using the latest version.

During two recent transactions instead of using our default bank account number, it randomly assigned the total amount to be withdrawn from our bank to a some other fund and we only just found this out today. And, of course, the month has closed and we are now going over everything in August with the proverbial fine-toothed comb.

Mark
Calvary Church, Flint Michigan

NeilZ

Re: Editing Acc't Numbers in Posted Transactions

Post by NeilZ »

Flint Calvary wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:42 pm
My understanding is that I have to delete the original (posted) transaction; change the working month, then re-post it with the correct account number used ... but I can't find in my manual where or how to delete a posted transaction. Please advise or if there's a way to do this a different way.

PowerChurch has been a bit glitchy for us and before you ask, yes, we're using the latest version.

During two recent transactions instead of using our default bank account number, it randomly assigned the total amount to be withdrawn from our bank to a some other fund and we only just found this out today. And, of course, the month has closed and we are now going over everything in August with the proverbial fine-toothed comb.

Mark
You NEVER want to delete a posted transaction.

The only way to do this is to VOID and reissue the original transaction, which sounds like it came from Accounts Payable. Fine the Vendor in AP, check the history, select the check in question and click on the VOID button. Use the same date and check number, but there is no need to print the check again.

While you're there, check the ACCOUNTS tab on the vendor to make sure that it lists the proper Bank Account. Do the same with the other check, also verify the credit (Bank) account on that vendor record.

Head to the Maintain Manual Checks in AP, verify that you have two voided checks and two replacement checks, on the replacement checks correct the bank account. Then POST all the transactions.

FWIW ... I've never heard of Powerchurch randomly assigning a bank account, or any account for that matter. If you're regularly seeing this issue, you may want to call Powerchurch directly.

One more thing, you say you're on the latest version (v14), is that via Powerchurch Online, or classic Powerchurch located on your local computer?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Flint Calvary

Post by Flint Calvary »

PowerChurch is resident on a local PC and the data files are shared via the cloud between the two people responsible for church finances (second person also has PowerChurch on their home laptop).

And - I hate to admit but have to confess - we are NOT using the most recent version of the software. We are on version 12.2.

Flint Calvary

Post by Flint Calvary »

ALSO ... new wrinkle ... one of the transactions wasn't a check, but a General Journal Entry.

Not seeing how to void those....and that particular transaction paid out to two different accounts.

Aarrgghh.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Flint Calvary wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 9:10 am
PowerChurch is resident on a local PC and the data files are shared via the cloud between the two people responsible for church finances (second person also has PowerChurch on their home laptop).

And - I hate to admit but have to confess - we are NOT using the most recent version of the software. We are on version 12.2.
Flint Calvary wrote:
Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:53 am
ALSO ... new wrinkle ... one of the transactions wasn't a check, but a General Journal Entry.

Not seeing how to void those....and that particular transaction paid out to two different accounts.

Aarrgghh.
OK ... what files are being shared via the cloud? The problem with using the cloud as a data repository (NOT a backup location) is that there is always a DELAY in accessing files, and if both users are accessing the files at the same time there can be serious issues.

I'm going to suggest that you take a LONG look at using Powerchurch Online if you need to have two locations accessing the data.

OK ... about the transaction, you have to REVERSE it and manually enter a replacement using the same date. I'm guessing that the payment using the general journal entry was a EFT type of transaction?

My advice is to NEVER use General Journal transactions to pay bills, even EFT. That's what MANUAL CHECKS can also be used for. You enter these via Accounts Payable, you then have a VENDOR audit trail, as well as a way to VERIFY the transaction prior it posting to Fund Accounting.

Hope this helps.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Flint Calvary

Post by Flint Calvary »

We're in a unique situation here, as far as I can tell, Neil. I do the day-to-day accounting, and at the end of the week I backup the data files, stash them in the cloud, where they are downloaded by our Church Treasurer into his PowerChurch and he restores the files on his laptop, then audits my work, enters the contributions from the members, and does the budgeting. By Monday or Tuesday, he backs up the data, puts it back in the cloud, and then I download the data file and restore MY PowerChurch on my PC. And we begin a new week of paying bills and doing business as a church.

So no one is using the file concurrently.

Using Manual Checks instead of a General Journal Entry is an interesting idea. I'll pass that on.

Zasalamel
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zasalamel »

Flint Calvary wrote:
Thu Aug 18, 2022 3:42 pm

Mark

To address the original questions: To "delete" (reverse, there is no delete from posted) the original posted transaction, you need to go to Accounting>Fund Accounting>View Posted Transactions, then Locate the transaction and hit the Reverse Button at the bottom. You then need to recreate the transaction with the correct acct numbers. Shouldn't need to change the working month technically in order to do this step, just the posting date.

In regards to the transaction populating with the wrong default bank account number: that can be set in File>Preferences>Accounting Setup in the field labeled "Default bank account number:". There shouldn't be anything populating with "random" account numbers anywhere in the program; if it's there, it's been told to be there from somewhere else.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Flint Calvary wrote:
Tue Aug 23, 2022 10:42 am
We're in a unique situation here, as far as I can tell, Neil. I do the day-to-day accounting, and at the end of the week I backup the data files, stash them in the cloud, where they are downloaded by our Church Treasurer into his PowerChurch and he restores the files on his laptop, then audits my work, enters the contributions from the members, and does the budgeting. By Monday or Tuesday, he backs up the data, puts it back in the cloud, and then I download the data file and restore MY PowerChurch on my PC. And we begin a new week of paying bills and doing business as a church.

So no one is using the file concurrently.

Using Manual Checks instead of a General Journal Entry is an interesting idea. I'll pass that on.
Are you doing a FULL backup, or just the Accounting files?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Flint Calvary

Post by Flint Calvary »

Just the data files; he says he "doesn't need all that other stuff."

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Flint Calvary wrote:
Wed Aug 24, 2022 9:54 am
Just the data files; he says he "doesn't need all that other stuff."
Yeah ... but its always a good idea to pull everything else in at least once a month, especially if he's entering contributions as the office may be updating addresses.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Flint Calvary

Post by Flint Calvary »

Noted. I'll make sure to send him a full backup at least monthly.