Procedures/Checklist

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

e3umrc

Procedures/Checklist

Post by e3umrc »

We would like to set up our own internal procedures. Does anyone have a checklist that the treasurer could use to start the procedures process? We want to make sure that if someone is ill, out in the mission field or leaves their position, there are standardized procedures to be followed by the substitute. There are certain things that should be done weekly (contributions); monthly( posting- a/p and other journal entries, monthly close-out, bank reconciliation) and yearly (new budget, file back-up, posting), I am sure that I haven't hit everything, because we are not using all modules in powerchurch.
:wall:

JohnDMeyers

Re: Procedures/Checklist

Post by JohnDMeyers »

We don't have a written procedure list. Here are some thoughts that go along with things you have already listed:

Weekly
pay bills
enter contributions
backup powerchurch

Monthly
reconcile bank accounts
close month
You can watch my PowerChurch tutorials now on YouTube!

Visit http://www.youtube.com/user/EmpowerYour ... ture=watch

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

I would add, send copy of weekly backup offsite. You could email to the treasurer's email account, or use a 'cloud' account.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

I would first start with your counting procedure. Here is the one I developed for our use. It's specific to our offering report but you can modify it for your needs.

Eugene

Counting Procedure

Separate the offering into the following four stacks. Note the
contents of each stack.
===========================================================================================================

Envelope ---------------------- Loose check --------------------- Loose cash --------------------------------Other income
contributions------------------contributions----------------------contributions
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Numbered or ------------------Loose checks. ------------------ Loose cash and ----------------------------Refunds and other
named envelopes.----------------------------------------------------cash in envelopes -------------------------non-contribution
------------------------------------------------------------------------------with no name or---------------------------income.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------number.
=============================================================================================================

. Separate loose cash pile by denomination. Count and record on offering report in
the Loose Cash column. Record any special designations. Insert into deposit
envelope.

Record names, check numbers, and amounts of loose checks on offering report
and total up the amount. Observe for and record any special designations.

. Record contents of each envelope on each envelope. Signify a check with a “ck”
or checkmark, and currency with an “m”. Place currency in stacks by
denomination. Record names, check numbers, and amounts of checks on offering
report and total the amount. Count the currency and record on offering report in
the Morning Offering column. Insert into deposit envelope.

. Combine loose check and envelope check totals and record in the Morning
Offering column.

. Total up all columns.

. Combine working Loose Cash and Morning Offering totals to obtain the working
number. Subtract designations from the working number to obtain the General
Fund total.

. Record other income. Insert into deposit envelope.

. Record all checks, total of cash, and total of currency on deposit slip.

. Record names and addresses of any first time visitors who give if you are able.

. Deposit offering at the bank.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Or .. you can have someone read off the envelope number, contribution amount, and what fund its going to, and someone else entering the data into Powerchurch. The only separation needed, is do checks first, put the cash envelopes aside until the end; do write the amount on the envelope. After the envelopes are entered, then count the loose plate offering, enter that using the Loose Cash Offering envelope.

Run the Bank Deposit Slip report, verify the amounts on the check, total all the cash, and verify that it matches the cash total on the deposit slip report.

:)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

Niel,

That would work great if everyone filled out the envelope and put the right amount on it. We've had envelopes that didn't match the check, envelopes that didn't match the cash, checks where the numerical and written amounts don't match, and checks not signed. Some refuse to use envelopes. I'm sure you've run across some strange mistakes. Another fun one is multiple checks in one envelope. Gotta add them up to make sure they match whats on the envelope. I'm the treasurer and I'm not immune to errors either. One time the financial secretary and I mad a $10 mistake in a different spot. The offering report I developed helps cross check things to find errors. If my link works you should be able to see what we use.

Eugene
https://www.flickr.com/photos/f12mahon/ ... 762523336/

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

F12Mahon wrote:Niel,

That would work great if everyone filled out the envelope and put the right amount on it. We've had envelopes that didn't match the check, envelopes that didn't match the cash, checks where the numerical and written amounts don't match, and checks not signed. Some refuse to use envelopes. I'm sure you've run across some strange mistakes.
Then what you do is list the amount on the envelope, and on those who do not use envelopes, you use an old box of envelopes from a previous year, list the amount, and the envelope number on that one.
Another fun one is multiple checks in one envelope. Gotta add them up to make sure they match whats on the envelope.
Entering them directly into Powerchurch, the system totals the amounts, and shows it on the Contributions Entry screen for that envelope even though they are different checks.
I'm the treasurer and I'm not immune to errors either. One time the financial secretary and I mad a $10 mistake in a different spot. The offering report I developed helps cross check things to find errors. If my link works you should be able to see what we use.

Eugene
https://www.flickr.com/photos/f12mahon/ ... 762523336/
Nice, but in my opinion (which you can take or leave) its overkill. I've used Powerchurch with congregations of 70 in worship, and with 300 in worship. Always entered contributions directly, and was always able to put contributions in the correct fund, and find any mistakes with the default reports. Again, YMMV.

Blessings
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

I like the idea of no paperwork to save time. I'm not sure if the board would go for it. We would have to make sure backups were done regularly. I've been accused of doing things the hard way. Even when I was a kid about 5, our wagon, think radio flyer but blue in color, had a wheel come off. The nail/cotter pin came off. My big brother just flipped it over to fix it. I said no no no. Gotta get the jack and jack it up to fix it. :D

Eugene

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

With the v11.5 backup program, you can use the Windows scheduler to do backups on a regular basis with no human intervention. I have them setup to do the backup on Sunday afternoons.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.