Page 1 of 1

Very stale checks in closed months

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 5:43 pm
by stmattskaren
2014 was our first year with PowerChurch, and it took a long time to figure out how to do things properly. In addition, the auditor basically threw up her hands and reconciled only the QuickBooks backup to PowerChurch, which wasn't set up quite the same and there are errors in her reconciliation. Our treasurer then died so I've spent many months figuring everything out!

Obviously I had to close every month through May, 2014, and this is a problem. My bank reconciliation shows an outstanding check from 1/2/14 and several uncleared negative contributions from March and April 2014. (I haven't researched those yet.)

After finding out what I could on this forum, I tried voiding the old check, and to my surprise it let me do it. It also let me post to paid items. I was hoping it would let me post it to accounting in a later month that's still open, but it says there are no unposted transactions in the open months. The check is still showing up in the Bank Reconciliation function.

How can I fix this? And generally, what is the best way to handle a) stale checks and b) errors in closed months? Should I have done an adjustment dated June 2014 and left the Void check function alone? Thanks for your help!

Re: Very stale checks in closed months

Posted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 7:32 pm
by Matt
Run the Unposted Transactions report in Fund Accounting and select all months. The voided check should be there with a posting month of January, 2014. If so, you will need to go into Fund Accounting, then Modify Unposted Transactions, and change the posting month to one that is still open. I would use the oldest month that is still open. Then post the transaction. You will then be able to clear the original check and the voided check from the reconciliation.

The best way to handle stale checks and errors in closed months is to catch these types of problems and correct them before the months are closed. PowerChurch allows you to have up to 18 months open at one time. You should review the outstanding checks and deposits on the bank reconciliation each month. If an outstanding check is more than 6 months old I would void it. If you have 18 months open in the system then you should be able to post the voided check in the same month it was originally recorded. If the month the stale check or error originally occurred in is now closed then I would post the corrections in the oldest month that is still open.

Re: Very stale checks in closed months

Posted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:20 pm
by stmattskaren
Got it. Thanks!