Page 1 of 1

Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 8:12 pm
by ryan.pochop
ALCON,

After entering the federal and NM tax tables and entering the payroll data correctly (checked 3 times), I checked the paycheck withholdings for semi-monthly for the two employees that it pertained to vs the tables in the tax publications. The federal withholding was over by $1. The NM withholding was under by 20 and 40 cents for the employees. Is there a bug in the system. I know it doesn't amount to much, but since I convinced my church of the benefits of this software vs our old system using excel for payroll and one of the employees is a spouse of the person who set up the old tables (and they match the tax pubs); I do not want to have egg on my face.

Thanks in advance.

v/r,

Ryan Pochop

Re: Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 11:23 pm
by NeilZ
ryan.pochop wrote:ALCON,

After entering the federal and NM tax tables and entering the payroll data correctly (checked 3 times), I checked the paycheck withholdings for semi-monthly for the two employees that it pertained to vs the tables in the tax publications. The federal withholding was over by $1. The NM withholding was under by 20 and 40 cents for the employees. Is there a bug in the system. I know it doesn't amount to much, but since I convinced my church of the benefits of this software vs our old system using excel for payroll and one of the employees is a spouse of the person who set up the old tables (and they match the tax pubs); I do not want to have egg on my face.

Thanks in advance.

v/r,

Ryan Pochop
If you installed the tax tables correctly, and have the number of exemptions set properly, the system will calculate it to the penny.


Verify your installation of the tax tables using these knowledgebase articles:

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/140 ... tax-tables

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/118 ... tax-tables

Note .. make sure you're using the ANNUAL payroll period tax tables, not the semi-monthly. If you're using the semi-monthly to 'double check' you will have see a difference. FWIW .. if there was any issue you'd see a lot of people upset about it.

Re: Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:13 pm
by ryan.pochop
Thank you. I found my error.

v/r,

Ryan Pochop

Re: Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 3:42 pm
by NeilZ
ryan.pochop wrote:Thank you. I found my error.

v/r,

Ryan Pochop
Ryan ... care to let us know what was the cause, as this may help others seeing the same issue.

Re: Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 2:54 pm
by ryan.pochop
I was checking the percent tables in the system vs the bracket method in the IRS pubs.

Re: Federal and State Tax tables not matching

Posted: Wed Sep 14, 2016 8:05 pm
by NeilZ
ryan.pochop wrote:I was checking the percent tables in the system vs the bracket method in the IRS pubs.
Aha ... very different calculations.