New - A/P and General Questions

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ndgaab

New - A/P and General Questions

Post by ndgaab »

Hi all,
Our church is going to be switching to PowerChurch here shortly. I am currently using the trail to get acclimated to it. I have come across a couple questions that I wanted to ask you all.

1. When issuing a manual check, should you create an invoice too? For example, I want to pay the electric bill and, since we still write manual checks, I go to manage manual checks and input that information. Should I also input the invoice from the electric company? If so, how do I match the two up? It seems that I have to go to "Print computerized checks" to close out the invoice.

2. What is the best way to handle checks sent to missionaries / mission boards?

3. Is there a way to enter contributions as a batch?

4. Is there a way to add our church logo to the financial reports / contribution statements?

5. Can you print multiple checks per page on the printable checks?

6. Does anyone have experience using EasyTithe alongside PowerChurch? If so, how has your experience been?

7. How does PowerChurch compare to Aplos?

NeilZ

Re: New - A/P and General Questions

Post by NeilZ »

ndgaab wrote:Hi all,
Our church is going to be switching to PowerChurch here shortly. I am currently using the trail to get acclimated to it. I have come across a couple questions that I wanted to ask you all.

1. When issuing a manual check, should you create an invoice too? For example, I want to pay the electric bill and, since we still write manual checks, I go to manage manual checks and input that information. Should I also input the invoice from the electric company? If so, how do I match the two up? It seems that I have to go to "Print computerized checks" to close out the invoice.
No .. just create the manual check, it basically does what the invoice does as far as you entering the correct banking and expense accounts. If you ever start printing checks (and I do advise that you think about it) you'd then "Create Invoices".

Um .. could you be more specific about this. Are these contributions or payments?
3. Is there a way to enter contributions as a batch?
You can, you'd have to enter the data in a certain format. This can be seen under Contributions -> Import Contributions -> From a file. You can set this up in an Excel spreadsheet which will then be saved as a Comma Separated Values (CSV) file.

However, using the Powerchurch entry screen is much simpler, and does allow contributor lookup if you don't have an envelope.
Is there a reason you want a batch entry??
4. Is there a way to add our church logo to the financial reports / contribution statements?
These are standard reports, and are created in a third-party reporting program and can't be modified to do that. However, you can print the Contribution Statement on letterhead paper.
5. Can you print multiple checks per page on the printble checks?
No.

However, there is a simple reason for this. You want to have something that gives an audit trail for the check. Normally, the stub contains the expense account used and the amount. What many churches do (and I totally agree with) is that they take the stub, staple it to the invoice (or copy of the invoice) and file it for audit later. This keeps everything above board, and there is an authorizing bill for each check.

If you don't have a bill or a reimbursement voucher authorized by your church board, you shouldn't have a check issued.
6. Does anyone have experience using EasyTithe alongside PowerChurch? If so, how has your experience been?
Based on the information on the EasyTithe site, it exports a file that is compatible with Powerchurch. That said, Powerchurch integrates more fully with Vanco Solutions.
7. How does PowerChurch compare to Aplos?
If all you're looking for is an accounting solution, well .. you could be using Quickbooks. Powerchurch provides so much more: Membership, Accounting, Contributions, Events ... all integrated in one package, at a very reasonable price.

If you want a local, networked solution. Powerchurch is only $395.00 for the downloadable program. That's it, you don't pay 'per seat' or 'per computer'. Other systems charge you for the main program, and other functions are extra. Or they charge you for networking on a per seat basis. Powerchurch can be networked out of the box, to as many computers as there are on your network.

Want something that your church office can use, but also the treasurer who works out of the home. Powerchurch Online is $39.95 a month for two concurrent users. That is, 2 people online at the same time. This is what many churches use, as the only time its accessed is by the office during the day, and maybe someone else.

Other companies just offer the online accounting, and that's it for $40 a month, want more you pay more. Or if they offer contributions support, you have to maintain a separate membership database for other uses at your location. Its all integrated in Powerchurch, what you enter in the membership module, is available to the Contributions module through the envelope number link.

The reason I first got involved with Powerchurch was that the church my wife and I joined way back in 1998, had two (or three) separate databases where address information was kept. We originally joined when we were living in townhouse apartment while our new home was being built. When we moved, we gave that new address to the financial secretary. However, the office was still sending info to our old address. We volunteered to find a church management program that would take care of this type of problem where all one had to do was update the address in one place, and every other area had that same data.

We went through every software package on the market at that time, some costing under $125 all the way to $1,000 a month. The programs were winnowed down based on features, ease of use, etc. It came down to two. Powerchurch at $295.00 (at that time) and ACS at $1200.00 monthly. It was a very easy decision.

Frankly, Powerchurch offers the best bang for the buck for many churches, and purchasing it is good stewardship of church funds.

Disclaimer: I am not an employee of Powerchurch, just a long time user and techie, who volunteers some time to help other users with issues and good practices.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ndgaab

Post by ndgaab »

NeilZ wrote:
Um .. could you be more specific about this. Are these contributions or payments?

Neil,
Thanks for your reply. In regards to the checks, it would be support checks sent to the missionaries or a mission board.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ndgaab wrote:
NeilZ wrote:

Neil,
Thanks for your reply. In regards to the checks, it would be support checks sent to the missionaries or a mission board.
I would think they would be handled in the same way you pay any bill. You'd use an expense account along with the checking. Is there something specific about these payments that you didn't mention?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ndgaab

Post by ndgaab »

Would it beneficial to use the repeating feature on these? I'm still learning all of this, sorry for so many questions.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ndgaab wrote:Would it beneficial to use the repeating feature on these? I'm still learning all of this, sorry for so many questions.
No bother ..

if you're going to be using the same amount each month (or every other month) its a good idea to set it up that way.

I have all the utilities I send checks to setup as recurring, and release them monthly as needed.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.