Questions on Payroll Setup

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ndgaab

Questions on Payroll Setup

Post by ndgaab »

Hey,
I'm back with a few more questions - this time about payroll. I am still using the demo and I am trying to get comfortable with the payroll portion. I have went online and entered all of the correct tax tables (federal, states, local), but when I process payroll it doesn't show them being taken out. I have made sure that the payroll item descriptions have the correct taxes checked, but it shows a blank space under tax deductions when I process payroll. I am not sure if this is because it is the demo or if I am missing something here.
Also, our staff receive a specific amount once per month to use to fund their own insurance. I assume this is taxable income, how do you recommend I go about setting this up on payroll? Currently, I just added it as a pay item, but it makes it hard because I don't see a way to have it just paid monthly automatically (their regular salary and housing allowances are paid weekly).
In reporting, is there a report that will show each fund (customizable on the level), the beginning balance, expenses for the period, and the current balance of the fund at the time the report was ran? For example, if I want to print a report for our congregation that shows the balance of the all the youth group accounts, music accounts, church accounts (salaries, utilities, other expenses/incomes) and show what the overall balance is of these funds, is that possible? I can't seem to find this report.

ndgaab

Re: Payroll

Post by ndgaab »

Also, to add to this, how do I enter the starting balances for each fund? When I setup accounting in the trial, I didn't see this option nor do I see it in the manual. Thanks again for all your help, specifically Neil, you've been very helpful.

NeilZ

Re: Payroll

Post by NeilZ »

ndgaab wrote:Hey,
I'm back with a few more questions - this time about payroll. I am still using the demo and I am trying to get comfortable with the payroll portion. I have went online and entered all of the correct tax tables (federal, states, local), but when I process payroll it doesn't show them being taken out. I have made sure that the payroll item descriptions have the correct taxes checked, but it shows a blank space under tax deductions when I process payroll. I am not sure if this is because it is the demo or if I am missing something here.
The Demo should work the same as the regular program. That said, you have assigned each tax pay item to every employee, right? All their salary/hourly wages are INCOME pay items? The Tax Options on each INCOME pay item is either set to the default of Taxable or if the <more options> selection was picked, the appropriate tax check boxes on the list of taxes are selected?
Also, our staff receive a specific amount once per month to use to fund their own insurance. I assume this is taxable income, how do you recommend I go about setting this up on payroll? Currently, I just added it as a pay item, but it makes it hard because I don't see a way to have it just paid monthly automatically (their regular salary and housing allowances are paid weekly).
This sounds like a taxable benefit however, I would check with a tax professional or research it using IRS publications to be sure. As far as paying it monthly, the only way to do this is to run payroll with the Suppress specific items from being processed this time only option checked, and then when you get to the Process Items list uncheck the checkbox for that item.

In reporting, is there a report that will show each fund (customizable on the level), the beginning balance, expenses for the period, and the current balance of the fund at the time the report was ran? For example, if I want to print a report for our congregation that shows the balance of the all the youth group accounts, music accounts, church accounts (salaries, utilities, other expenses/incomes) and show what the overall balance is of these funds, is that possible? I can't seem to find this report.
This is no longer payroll, but reports. Please break this out into a new topic, but also explain what you mean by
the beginning balance, expenses for the period, and the current balance of the fund

Do you mean ACCOUNTS, do you mean a separate ACCOUNTING FUND (IE: 01-Operations, 10-Youth, BD-Building, MS-Missions) thus each fund having its own set of accounts (IE: 01-1110-000 Operations Fund Checking, 10-4120-000 Youth Fund Income, BD-5110-000 Building Expenses) ?? Please be specific.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ndgaab

Re: Questions on Payroll Setup

Post by ndgaab »

Neil,
I have established a pay item titled, "Pastor Salary". On that item I have "More Options" selected under "Tax Options". I have Federal Withholding, State Income Tax, and Local Tax checked. When I go into my Tax Tables I see each of them setup and with all of the information filled into the tax tables. However, when I process payroll, specifically for the Pastor, I see the item "Pastor Salary", but there is no taxes taken out. This pay item is only assigned to the pastor as his salary is different than everyone else. Not sure what I am missing here.

ndgaab

Post by ndgaab »

ndgaab wrote:Neil,
I have established a pay item titled, "Pastor Salary". On that item I have "More Options" selected under "Tax Options". I have Federal Withholding, State Income Tax, and Local Tax checked. When I go into my Tax Tables I see each of them setup and with all of the information filled into the tax tables. However, when I process payroll, specifically for the Pastor, I see the item "Pastor Salary", but there is no taxes taken out. This pay item is only assigned to the pastor as his salary is different than everyone else. Not sure what I am missing here.
I figured it out. I didn't add the tax deduction on the pay items on the managing list of employees screen. Although now, I can't get the local tax (county) to show up. I have the federal withholding and the state tax.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ndgaab wrote:
ndgaab wrote:Neil,
I figured it out. I didn't add the tax deduction on the pay items on the managing list of employees screen. Although now, I can't get the local tax (county) to show up. I have the federal withholding and the state tax.
This is why I asked this question in my last reply you have assigned each tax pay item to every employee, right?. Tax items need to be assigned.

Each tax item description should also be setup with an appropriate liability account which will accept the taxes deducted.

Now about County tax. Did you create the appropriate County Tax 'Table'. It may not need a 'table' per se, just a flat rate percentage. However, you still need to:
1. Create the Tax Type (Accounting -> Payroll -> Setup -> Maintain Tax Types): in this case county tax
2. Create the Tax Table for the county taxes. (Accounting -> Payroll -> Setup -> Maintain Tax Tables)
3. Create the item description for the county taxes. (Accounting -> Payroll -> Setup -> Maintain Item Descriptions)
4. Add the pay item to each employee. (Accounting -> Payroll -> Maintain List of Employees Pay Item Tab)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.