Check-Transition

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ngaham

Check-Transition

Post by ngaham »

Hey,
Quick question on transitioning from manual checks to computer generated checks. We have quite a few manual checks left that we could write, but I know printing checks would increase my workflow a lot. What is the best practice for this? Wait until we are out of manual checks?

NeilZ

Re: Check-Transition

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:Hey,
Quick question on transitioning from manual checks to computer generated checks. We have quite a few manual checks left that we could write, but I know printing checks would increase my workflow a lot. What is the best practice for this? Wait until we are out of manual checks?
What I've done is order laser checks starting at a new number ending in 00, greater than the last manual check. For instance, if your manual check is currently 1239, I'd order checks starting at 1300. Then when the laser checks arrived, shred the remaining manual checks.

This way you know that all the missing checks between the last manual check written, and the start of the laser checks are valid. You could keep the old checks and void them all out, but shredding is much easier :) If necessary, have yourself and someone else there when you shred, then create a letter signed by both of you that the final issued manual check was #1239 (for example) and all remaining were destroyed.

This would satisfy any auditor.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.