Voiding / Reissue Hanging Check

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ngaham

Voiding / Reissue Hanging Check

Post by ngaham »

Neil,
When I setup PC, I put in outstanding checks that hadn't been cashed yet. Two of them were payroll checks that our previous BK said she signed and placed in the offering to go towards her tithe (this was before we used PC). These two checks are from December of 2016, they haven't been cashed and we can't find them. What would you do?

NeilZ

Re: Voiding / Reissue Hanging Check

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:Neil,
When I setup PC, I put in outstanding checks that hadn't been cashed yet. Two of them were payroll checks that our previous BK said she signed and placed in the offering to go towards her tithe (this was before we used PC). These two checks are from December of 2016, they haven't been cashed and we can't find them. What would you do?
Was she credited for the donation? Were the checks deposited at your bank? Since you say they haven't cleared, then probably not. I would be worried about why they didn't go to the bank with the rest of the contributions. That said ...

What I would do is void the checks, which would basically make those funds available in checking, and leave her donation credit intact. I'd also think about a stop payment on the checks. What that depends on is how much your bank charges for that, and whether that would be worth it.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

I have a similar issue. I used a personal debit to pay a conference deposit. Church reimbursed me by check. I deposited the check in my personal accunt, different bank from church bank. My statement shows deposit. Check didn't show on the church statement for three months so I talked to the bank. The money had been drawn from someone elses' account. I recommend talking to your bank before doing anything else.
Eugene

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

F12Mahon wrote:I have a similar issue. I used a personal debit to pay a conference deposit. Church reimbursed me by check. I deposited the check in my personal accunt, different bank from church bank. My statement shows deposit. Check didn't show on the church statement for three months so I talked to the bank. The money had been drawn from someone elses' account. I recommend talking to your bank before doing anything else.
Actually, you may have something there.

The check was issued from the church's account, then deposited back into the church's account. I didn't ask if the full collection amount for that day showed on the statement as the deposit amount. If it did, you're right, where did the money come from??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.