help me!!!!

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

NeilZ

Re: help me!!!!

Post by NeilZ »

petertohen wrote:How do I record money that we recieve for specific purposes?
we already have a budgeted amount for outreach (based on a monthly plege to give to that ministry) We want that budget line to reflect what was actually given - i put in the budget the amount if they are to fufill the pledge for the year but is there a way to track specific gifts? and now we just got an additional tithe specified for outreach - which wasn't included in the budget line - do i have to increase the budgeted amount everytime i get a specific donation?
It all goes into the general fund but I would like our budgeted amount to show what is still available
I will be giving quarterly reports to the heads of ministry and somehow I'll need to show those additional donations ....
i hope that makes some sence!
http://vancopayments.com/powerchurch/

You budget for the entire year: Outreach gets a certain amount from the general fund based on pledges. Now its great if you get additional dollars allocated toward that ministry that was not pledged. However, do you always receive all the amount pledged for that ministry? If not, these unpledged amounts help offset that shortfall, and keeps you from having to cover it from general funds.

I am guessing that in Contributions, you have a Contribution Fund setup to cover any donations to Outreach. You have a running total there. Thus you can show the ministry head the total that has been given to date, against the money actually spent against the budget.

That said, its up to your church board how they want to do their budgeting. Churches are cash based businesses, what you got coming in should cover what you got going out. If you want to have this money set aside specifically for Outreach, then you could create a temporary donor restricted account. That could be more trouble than its worth, since its often spent quickly, and then you're stuck with a set of accounts that you can't remove easily.

If the board wants to update the budget, again its their prerogative, but I would first look to see how much actual income has been collected against those pledges first.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.