Printing w2's

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

whfpc

Printing w2's

Post by whfpc »

I am on PC 11.55 and in the process of attempting to print w2's. I purchased them from deluxe (just re-ordered from last year, same thing the person before me ordered). My question is: It appears they are separated in lots of 13, copies A,B,C,D etc and separated by a sheet of paper. How do I need to arrange these in the printer in such a way they print correctly? Does that even make sense? Say I have 26 employees, do I need to make sure I have 26 W-2 Copy A's together (by adding another set to each lot?!?!) I do not want to start printing and end up having to reorder.....

Robin

NeilZ

Re: Printing w2's

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:I am on PC 11.55 and in the process of attempting to print w2's. I purchased them from deluxe (just re-ordered from last year, same thing the person before me ordered). My question is: It appears they are separated in lots of 13, copies A,B,C,D etc and separated by a sheet of paper. How do I need to arrange these in the printer in such a way they print correctly? Does that even make sense? Say I have 26 employees, do I need to make sure I have 26 W-2 Copy A's together (by adding another set to each lot?!?!) I do not want to start printing and end up having to reorder.....

Robin
If I remember right, the system will tell you how many pages to add to the printer. You DON'T add them all at once. My suggestion is to first run through the printer using blank paper to see how it works.

FWIW .. you may want to consider an upgrade to v12 sometime this year as you can print directly to blank paper without having to use pre-printed forms. What the system does is create a PDF, which you can then use to print the entire packet. This also allows you to reprint at will.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

Thank you! Will version 12 handle the 1099's as well? I have already purchased the forms for this year but yes! I will look into the upgrade.

Robin

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Version 12 still requires pre-printed forms or e-filing for the 1099-MISC, but it does support the 1096 form as well.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

So, will I just print a set of w2's for each lot? It shows I need 16 pages, I should print the Copy A 16 pages and then load Copy B and print again and so on?

Robin

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:So, will I just print a set of w2's for each lot? It shows I need 16 pages, I should print the Copy A 16 pages and then load Copy B and print again and so on?

Robin
If you have 31 or 32 employees, that's correct. If I remember right, 1 page has 2 W-2s each one for a different employee. You print the A, B, and the number of copy 2s you need for your state. You then collate the W-2s and separate them at the perforation. You then should have a complete packet per employee.

Does that help ?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

it does!!! I appreciate your help.

bsbrown

Post by bsbrown »

So with version 12, is it acceptable to submit the printed on blank paper forms rather than submitting pre-printed w2's. Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

bsbrown wrote:So with version 12, is it acceptable to submit the printed on blank paper forms rather than submitting pre-printed w2's. Thanks.
What PCPlus does is create a PDF of the filled in, IRS forms. They are perfectly acceptable to the IRS. Now, the red color forms that are supposed to go to Social Security may have to be used, so you'd have to print them using the pre-printed form system

However, the SSA does have an online data entry system for these, and while it takes about a half hour for 10 employees or so, you don't have to mail anything, just retain the online receipt given.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

The black and white W2 forms version 12 produces can be sent to the IRS. We had to send in sample forms to them and get them approved.

IRS pub 1141 page 10
Section 2.2 – Specifications for Substitute Black-and-White Copy A and W-3 Forms Filed with the SSA

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1141.pdf

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Jeff wrote:The black and white W2 forms version 12 produces can be sent to the IRS. We had to send in sample forms to them and get them approved.

IRS pub 1141 page 10
Section 2.2 – Specifications for Substitute Black-and-White Copy A and W-3 Forms Filed with the SSA

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p1141.pdf
Jeff, these are OK as substitutes for the RED forms that normally get sent to Social Security ??
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

yes

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Jeff wrote:yes
Beauty !!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Jeff
Program Development
Program Development

Post by Jeff »

From https://www.ssa.gov/employer/paperFormInstr.htm
Social Security accepts laser printed Forms W-2/W-3 as well as the standard red drop-out ink forms. Both the laser forms and the red drop-out ink forms must comply with Internal Revenue Service's Publication 1141 and require pre-approval from Social Security.
The black and white laser copies generated by version 12 have been tested with the SSA and met their approval. This is the results from the test of the approval that we received back from them:
SOCIAL SECURITY ADMINISTRATION
Important Information
Substitute black-and-white Forms (Copy A)
W-3/W-2 APPROVAL NOTICE
Date: 5/30/2017
[X] Tax Year 2017 Substitute Forms W3
[X] Tax Year 2017 Substitute Forms W2 (Copy A)

Vendor: PowerChurch Software

Vendor Code: 1639
If you have any questions regarding this response, please e-mail me at Copy.A.Forms@ssa.gov
Thank you,

Laser form Approval Staff
Social Security Administration
570-830-3498 or
1-800-775-7802 ext. 3498
As Neil mentioned above, you may want to file your W2s electronically either with the SSA Business Services Online or by using the integration built into PowerChurch. Many states now require that W2s be filed electronically with them. Using the SSA's Business Services Online website will not send the information to state revenue agencies.
Social Security will not examine or use the state or local information and will not forward it to any state or local entity.
https://www.ssa.gov/employer/bsohbnew.htm