Import Vanco Accounting Posting Error

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

wms7328

Import Vanco Accounting Posting Error

Post by wms7328 »

I've got an issue with how Vanco import is working. I'm not sure which module generates the transactions so I'm posting under accounting.

I set up a new accounting fund and added our checking asset account and Vanco transit account to this new fund. This fund receives income through the process of automatic transfer of a % of contributions into this new account. Here are the specific numbers:

Account Fund 01 and Accounting Fund 02 contain the following accounts:

01-1130-000 Checking Asset Account for Fund 01
02-1130-000 Checking Asset Account for Fund 02

01-1220-000 Vanco Transit Account for Fund 01
02-1220-000 Vanco Transit Account for Fund 02

When I import a contribution of $220 to a contribution fund for Fund 01, a contribution fund in Fund 02 is set to receive 3% of this total. Following are the transactions created for this import:

CONTRIB. VANCO
Debit Credit
01-1220-000 Vanco Transit Account 213.40
01-4110-000 General Contributions (Income account) 213.40
02-1220-000 Vanco Transit Account 6.60
02-4340-000 % General Contribution (Set to receive 3% of 01-4110) 6.60

This is correct so far. Now the online deposit transaction that is created:

ONLINE DEPOSIT

01-1220-000 Vanco Transit Account 220.00
01-1130-000 Checking Asset Account 220.00

Obviously this is incorrect since it should post Fund 01 amount of 213.40 to Fund 01 asset account and 6.60 to Fund 02 Asset Account.

Now I can correct this by simply moving the balance of the Vanco Transit account into the asset account for each fund. The transit account for Fund 01 has a negative value and the transit account for Fund 02 is positive on the balance sheet. However, I use several other Accounting funds and they post to correct asset account for each fund. I'm thinking this has to be from adding this fund and not changing something, but I don't know what that something is.

Please any help is appreciated. I'm using Power Church Version 12 with all Maintenance Releases updated.

Thanks, Morris
Unity Church Finance Manager

wms7328

Re: Import Vanco Accounting Posting Error

Post by wms7328 »

Sorry I see that my spaces got removed when I posted this so it makes it hard to read. The debits and credits post correctly, it's just that the ONLINE DEPOSIT transaction moves the total funds but just uses the transit and asset account for one fund. It should be posted to each asset account from the transit account for each accounting fund. This works for all my other funds that were all set up when Vanco import was first implemented. This is first accounting fund that I've added since originally setting up the Vanco import.

Thanks, Morris

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

Morris ..

I don't use Vanco, but let me ask a question:

The 02 transit account is listed as the 'checking' account on the 02 contribution fund, right? This is something setup in Powerchurch, Vanco doesn't know a thing about this.

If that is the case, here's what I think is happening: the transfer is actually done from within Powerchurch when you post contributions. Powerchurch figures the percentage to move, then creates the proper amounts to the debit and credit accounts.

The deposit transaction is created by the info Vanco sends. Vanco doesn't know anything about the 02 contribution fund, as far as it knows, everything that came in from online contributions is going to the 01 fund.

Sound correct?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

OK, think I understand your question. The new Accounting Fund 02 is a whole new accounting fund that I set up recently. I have 6 other accounting funds that are also set up. The only thing that VANCO knows about is the Contribution Fund number, they don't know anything about Accounting Funds. The VANCO contribution fund has to match the contribution funds that you have set up in Power Church for the import to be recorded correctly. These are the two Contribution Funds that are involved in this transaction:

Contribution Fund 01- Debit Account: 01-1130 Checking Asset Account, Credit Account: 01-4110 Income Account. This is the fund that VANCO knows about and is recorded in their transactions. In my previous note, an individual gave $220 to Contribution Fund 01. This is the fund that will show up on the individuals contribution report in Power Church and VANCO.

Now I set up another contribution fund 80 which has Debit Account: 02-1130, Credit Account: 02-4340. This fund is set to receive 3% of Contribution fund 01 above. This calculation is done when the contribution transaction is posted to accounting since contribution fund 80 shows no income if you look in contribution module. VANCO knows nothing about contribution fund 80 since contributors don't contribute directly to this fund, it only receives the 3% from Contribution fund 01. The CONTRIB. VANCO transactions is correct so this part is working as intended.

I don't think that VANCO generates the ONLINE DEPOSIT transaction since they don't know about any of my Accounting Funds and the other accounting funds post correctly from their individual transit accounts to their respective checking asset account. The only difference is that these were all set up when I first starting using VANCO import directly and I've just added Accounting Fund 02. I'm not sure how the ONLINE DEPOSIT transaction is generated but it works for all my funds except this new Accounting Fund 02.

Hope this clarifies what I'm seeing. Thanks, Morris
I

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

I just read your question again and may not have answered it totally. The transit account that is set up for each of my accounting funds is not the same as the checking account. The transit account records transactions as they are received by VANCO and imported with the date they were received. Then when a bank deposit is made the funds are moved from the transit account over to the checking asset account, it may contain several VANCO transactions or just one depending on the date received. I'm not sure how Power Church knows when VANCO makes a bank deposit but it has worked fine for all my accounting funds up to this point.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

What you told me basically supports what I thought. There is an import from Vanco that results in the online transaction added.

It also supports my supposition that the split of funds to the 02 account is done from within Powerchurch, Vanco knows nothing about it, and it won't since you set that up in Powerchurch.

You're going to have to manually make the adjustment, since I believe everything is working the way its supposed to.

That said, I'm going to have this thread looked at by the developers.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

OK, but if this is the case then why do the other Accounting Funds post correctly. The ONLINE DEPOSIT transactions since I started using VANCO import have been correctly posting the transit accounts in each fund to their respective checking asset accounts when a bank deposit is made.

I can correct this problem but it would be good for it to work the same as all my other accounting funds.

Thanks for your help and hopefully the developers can identify something.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:OK, but if this is the case then why do the other Accounting Funds post correctly. The ONLINE DEPOSIT transactions since I started using VANCO import have been correctly posting the transit accounts in each fund to their respective checking asset accounts when a bank deposit is made.

I can correct this problem but it would be good for it to work the same as all my other accounting funds.

Thanks for your help and hopefully the developers can identify something.
Are you breaking out a percentage from the other contribution funds are you are with the new contribution fund?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

No, this is the only place where I'm using the function to automatically transfer a percentage of one accounting fund's contribution into another accounting fund. All the other accounting funds get their contributions directly through contribution funds tied to individual accounting funds.

This new fund can also receive contributions directly from another contribution fund. I'll test that out by recording a contribution in VANCO's system and then see if it downloads and posts correctly.

Thanks for your help. Morris

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

wms7328 wrote:No, this is the only place where I'm using the function to automatically transfer a percentage of one accounting fund's contribution into another accounting fund. All the other accounting funds get their contributions directly through contribution funds tied to individual accounting funds.

This new fund can also receive contributions directly from another contribution fund. I'll test that out by recording a contribution in VANCO's system and then see if it downloads and posts correctly.

Thanks for your help. Morris
I bet you'll see the same result, as again, the only program that makes the determination and calculation of splitting funds out from another contribution fund is Powerchurch. Vanco has no knowledge of such a split.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I will write up a bug report for a developer to review. I have a feeling PowerChurch is ignoring the % share when creating the Vanco transaction in Fund Accounting.

wms7328

Post by wms7328 »

As a followup to my original report. I've posted a contribution directly to the new accounting fund 02 through a VANCO contribution and downloaded it as usual. It posts to the correct fund accounts for the whole process. So this problem is definitely just related to the fact that a contribution fund in Accounting Fund 02 is set to receive a percentage of contribution to Accounting Fund 01. Power Church apparently generates the VANCO deposit transactions from the contribution transactions and I understand it, the percentage transferred is not calculated until it gets posted to Fund Accounting from Contributions.

As I stated earlier, I can correct this by moving the funds shown in the VANCO holding account into the checking account for both Accounting Funds. In one fund it is shown as a negative holding account balance and positive in the other accounting fund. I would like to see this corrected to prevent future confusion.

Thanks for all your help.