Still sorting out a mess - fund question

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GFBCUser

Still sorting out a mess - fund question

Post by GFBCUser »

Our church has been using powerchurch over the past two years. I originally set it up with one accounting fund – 01 operating expenses. I had purchased and gone through all the training videos from the powerchurch site. I set up all my accounts using the basics – nothing special, nothing fancy.
There was a company (call it ABC) that offered “Do you want a FREE review of your PowerChurch?” Since I was a novice, I would appreciate any feedback I could receive – so I called them, sent a copy of my database, and they came back with some recommendations. They said the database looked real good, and with a couple of tweaks it would perform very well for me. They would renumber some accounts, and would even eliminate the need for transfer accounts. Live and learn… I won’t go into the details… But I ended up with three funds, and I’m still confused, and never got a straight answer on one major problem.
We have a women’s group that had a budget of $1000 a year. I had this in the 01 fund.
This same group also had folks donate contributions from time to time.(I wanted to make sure that any contributions would carry over to the following year)
When ABC redid our database, they made the 01 fund account inactive, and made an 02 designated account that I could put all the contributions in.
What I would like to do is still have a $1000 a year budget in the 01 fund - but have the 02 money available just in case they did go over budget.
Hopefully you see what I’m trying to do.
Bottom line: “Can I have an account like that active in both the 01 and 02 funds? And have the 01 account included in the 2018 budget?

NeilZ

Re: Still sorting out a mess - fund question

Post by NeilZ »

GFBCUser wrote:Our church has been using powerchurch over the past two years. I originally set it up with one accounting fund – 01 operating expenses. I had purchased and gone through all the training videos from the powerchurch site. I set up all my accounts using the basics – nothing special, nothing fancy.
There was a company (call it ABC) that offered “Do you want a FREE review of your PowerChurch?” Since I was a novice, I would appreciate any feedback I could receive – so I called them, sent a copy of my database, and they came back with some recommendations. They said the database looked real good, and with a couple of tweaks it would perform very well for me. They would renumber some accounts, and would even eliminate the need for transfer accounts. Live and learn… I won’t go into the details… But I ended up with three funds, and I’m still confused, and never got a straight answer on one major problem.
We have a women’s group that had a budget of $1000 a year. I had this in the 01 fund.
This same group also had folks donate contributions from time to time.(I wanted to make sure that any contributions would carry over to the following year)
When ABC redid our database, they made the 01 fund account inactive, and made an 02 designated account that I could put all the contributions in.
What I would like to do is still have a $1000 a year budget in the 01 fund - but have the 02 money available just in case they did go over budget.
Hopefully you see what I’m trying to do.
Bottom line: “Can I have an account like that active in both the 01 and 02 funds? And have the 01 account included in the 2018 budget?
FWIW .. there is an old saying, you get what you paid for. Sad to say, all they had to do was create a temporary restricted account in fund 01, and you would accomplish what you were trying to do. The funds would carry over to the next year, and you wouldn't have to release any of them until they had overspent the budgeted amount.

That said, you can still keep the money in 02, but you'd have to transfer the funds using a transfer account, which means you have to put them back in. I'm assuming that you're using one checking account, right?

So, create an expense account in the 01 (I'm assuming operations) for the group, and budget it for $1,000. Then when the group spends all the funds, you would then transfer funds from 02 to 01 to cover any future expenses.

It will still show over budget however, in Fund 01 even with the transfer.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GFBCUser

Post by GFBCUser »

Thanks much - I paid out of my own pocket, so I wouldn't cost the church for my learning curve - a $1000 mistake. If I needed an adventure
- then I did get what I paid for. This was a complete nightmare - oh well.I have learned so much on this forum. Thanks again.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GFBCUser wrote:Thanks much - I paid out of my own pocket, so I wouldn't cost the church for my learning curve - a $1000 mistake. If I needed an adventure
- then I did get what I paid for. This was a complete nightmare - oh well.I have learned so much on this forum. Thanks again.
GOOD GRIEF ... I misread your original post, I had thought it was 'free' ... I am sorry this happened to you.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.