Need to "Unvoid" a check.

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

whfpc

Need to "Unvoid" a check.

Post by whfpc »

Hi, I am off .80 and it is the banks error, they debited 108.02 from our checking account and the check amount is 108.82. In my mind I thought I could just delete the payroll check and enter a manual check but AFTER I deleted the payroll check I thought of all of the reasons I shouldn't have, I think I should have just made a manual transaction, either case I do not know how to correct this. Is there a way to "unvoid" a voided check? Or another way I can right this wrong?

Robin

whfpc

Re: bank reconciliation

Post by whfpc »

version 12 :)

Robin

NeilZ

Re: Need to "Unvoid" a check.

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:Hi, I am off .80 and it is the banks error, they debited 108.02 from our checking account and the check amount is 108.82. In my mind I thought I could just delete the payroll check and enter a manual check but AFTER I deleted the payroll check I thought of all of the reasons I shouldn't have, I think I should have just made a manual transaction, either case I do not know how to correct this. Is there a way to "unvoid" a voided check? Or another way I can right this wrong?

Robin
FWIW .. its always a good idea to create a new topic as it appears your problem is not with a reconciliation so much, as how to fix an issue caused by the bank.

Unless you haven't posted the void already, you're stuck. If you haven't posted payroll, you can go into Modify Unposted Payroll and delete the void. However, if you've already posted it all, then the only way to fix it would be to reissue the check FROM PAYROLL. you'd have to make sure that the check is only created for $108.02. This will properly adjust the payroll records.

However, not knowing how you voided the original check, I can't be more specific than that.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

I posted the void :(. So will I need to process payroll for the one employee?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:I posted the void :(. So will I need to process payroll for the one employee?
Yep .. I'm assuming that you processed the void OUT of the payroll module. So basically you're going to process the payroll for the period in question, select the date of the original check, somehow make sure that the amount is equal to what the bank took out, then select MANUAL CHECK from the drop down, and use the voided check number.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

I can't get it to 108.02 UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:I can't get it to 108.02 UGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG.
Not much anyone can do about that other than advice to 'tweak' a deduction, or add a bit of income :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

whfpc

Post by whfpc »

I'm back, let me make sure I was clear, I posted the payroll but I have not posted the transaction, not sure if that made a difference or not?

Robin

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

whfpc wrote:I'm back, let me make sure I was clear, I posted the payroll but I have not posted the transaction, not sure if that made a difference or not?

Robin
Robin ... as its been a few days ..

Which transaction are you referring to .. :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

Wouldn't it be easier to go to the bank and have them correct it on their end? Deduct the $.80 from your churches account and deposit it in the payee's account?

Eugene
Eugene

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

F12Mahon wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to go to the bank and have them correct it on their end? Deduct the $.80 from your churches account and deposit it in the payee's account?

Eugene
The employee's income also has to be adjusted. Even 80 cents can change the overall annual tax.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

F12Mahon

Post by F12Mahon »

NeilZ wrote:
F12Mahon wrote:Wouldn't it be easier to go to the bank and have them correct it on their end? Deduct the $.80 from your churches account and deposit it in the payee's account?

Eugene
The employee's income also has to be adjusted. Even 80 cents can change the overall annual tax.
I understand that. My thinking was if the bank had processed the check correctly in the beginning the amounts wouldn't need adjusted. I still think it could happen.

I had a personal check I wrote to pay a utility that was processed for an extra $100.00 more than I wrote. The bank corrected the transaction and reversed the overdraft charge.
Eugene