uncashed payroll checks

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

athomas

uncashed payroll checks

Post by athomas »

Previous employee left and I have found several payroll checks ranging from a year to 6 month from issue date never cashed. Since this involves taxes not sure how to handle in power church. Need advise for reissuing checks if individual located as well as if unable to locate. I know they just can't be voided. If i reverse any from previouss FY and reissue with current date, it will affect payroll taxes already paid, won't it. :wall:

NeilZ

Re: uncashed payroll checks

Post by NeilZ »

athomas wrote:Previous employee left and I have found several payroll checks ranging from a year to 6 month from issue date never cashed. Since this involves taxes not sure how to handle in power church. Need advise for reissuing checks if individual located as well as if unable to locate. I know they just can't be voided. If i reverse any from previouss FY and reissue with current date, it will affect payroll taxes already paid, won't it. :wall:
I would first try to find the employee before you do anything.

If you cannot find the employee you will need to file updated Employer Withholding Tax forms for both Federal, State, and Local. You will probably have to do some research on this.

Then when you void the checks, it will reverse all the actions. I'd post it in the current FY, as the extra funds that will come available will be seen in your Funds Account report, and Balance Sheet.

In future, I would make sure that all checks are cashed within a 60 to 90 day period.

I would definitely ask an accountant for advice.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.