PC+ will not process 2008 transaction

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

BroDave

PC+ will not process 2008 transaction

Post by BroDave »

Hi, I hope someone can answer my question, as I have tried everything I know to do.
I set up a spreadsheet, which has been working since January 2015, when I started using PC+, and I use it by having the counters enter the offerings in it, then I import it into PC+. It saves me a lot of manual entry.
The problem occurred on 9/2/18, when the counters accidentally entered the year as 2108, instead of 2018. Apparently, PC+ won't allow it to go so far into the future, but changed the date to 2008.
When I imported the file, I didn't notice that it showed the wrong year, and many incorrect entries were made. I manually reversed every entry, resulting in another 2008 transaction reversing the first. I believe the Contributions module is corrected, but every time I go into "Modify Unposted Transactions, the two transactions are there, and they won't process. When I try to "Post Transactions", I get an error message, "No transactions found to post in months December 2014 and beyond". (I have re-opened all months)
I am tempted to just deleted both transactions, but don't know how that will affect the Contributions module, or cause unexpected problems.
Thank you in advance for any Help! you can give.
David Sheldon
Lighthouse Baptist Church
Bryceville, FL 32009
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Lighthouse Baptist Church of North Florida
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Re: PC+ will not process 2008 transaction

Post by NeilZ »

BroDave wrote:Hi, I hope someone can answer my question, as I have tried everything I know to do.
I set up a spreadsheet, which has been working since January 2015, when I started using PC+, and I use it by having the counters enter the offerings in it, then I import it into PC+. It saves me a lot of manual entry.
The problem occurred on 9/2/18, when the counters accidentally entered the year as 2108, instead of 2018. Apparently, PC+ won't allow it to go so far into the future, but changed the date to 2008.
When I imported the file, I didn't notice that it showed the wrong year, and many incorrect entries were made. I manually reversed every entry, resulting in another 2008 transaction reversing the first. I believe the Contributions module is corrected, but every time I go into "Modify Unposted Transactions, the two transactions are there, and they won't process. When I try to "Post Transactions", I get an error message, "No transactions found to post in months December 2014 and beyond". (I have re-opened all months)
I am tempted to just deleted both transactions, but don't know how that will affect the Contributions module, or cause unexpected problems.
Thank you in advance for any Help! you can give.
David Sheldon
Lighthouse Baptist Church
Bryceville, FL 32009
David,

Did the original contribution posting go to Funds Accounting? If so, did it post? If not, then just change the date on the ORIGINAL Transaction in the Unposted Transaction queue, and delete the other one.

You WILL get a notice saying that the transaction was created in the Contributions module, etc, etc. Just say OK, as you know what happened, and this WILL NOT affect the Contributions module at all.

FWIW ... why don't you just setup Powerchurch so that the counters enter the data directly into Powerchurch Contributions. Its really not that hard to train users to do the entry.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

BroDave

Post by BroDave »

When I posted Contributions, it created the single transaction in Fund Accounting, as usual. I backed up PC+. One thing that exacerbated the error is that the counters had not given me the spreadsheets for three weeks, so I was hurrying through them. this was the second one. When I posted, this one stayed in the module. I then reversed when I saw the date on it, changed the date, and re-ran the whole thing. The Contributions module shows a debit for 2008, followed by an equal credit for 2008, then another equal debit for 2018.
I had thought of just changing the date, but then it wouldn't change the dates on all the Contributions, and I wasn't sure it would be correct.

I don't train the counters to use PC+, because only 2 can use the spreadsheet, and even if I lock them out of the other modules, I have no idea what they would do to Contributions. Also, they tend to make mistakes, and if I have the bank record of the deposits, with photos of the deposited checks (so I can see what the donor wrote in the memo, mostly), and the spreadsheet, I can usually make corrections before they get into the system.

Ex. We have three members who give to the Building Fund once per month. The counters miss at least one of these almost every month. Also, they don't know which donations are tax-deductible.
Thank you for your help. You did give me what I needed when you said I can delete it without creating a problem for Contributions. Since they didn't post, they shouldn't create a problem for Fund Accounting, either.
Thank you!
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

BroDave wrote:When I posted Contributions, it created the single transaction in Fund Accounting, as usual. I backed up PC+. One thing that exacerbated the error is that the counters had not given me the spreadsheets for three weeks, so I was hurrying through them. this was the second one. When I posted, this one stayed in the module. I then reversed when I saw the date on it, changed the date, and re-ran the whole thing. The Contributions module shows a debit for 2008, followed by an equal credit for 2008, then another equal debit for 2018.
I had thought of just changing the date, but then it wouldn't change the dates on all the Contributions, and I wasn't sure it would be correct.
I missed the part that you reversed and fixed those entries, then posted to Funds Accounting.
I don't train the counters to use PC+, because only 2 can use the spreadsheet, and even if I lock them out of the other modules, I have no idea what they would do to Contributions. Also, they tend to make mistakes, and if I have the bank record of the deposits, with photos of the deposited checks (so I can see what the donor wrote in the memo, mostly), and the spreadsheet, I can usually make corrections before they get into the system.

Ex. We have three members who give to the Building Fund once per month. The counters miss at least one of these almost every month. Also, they don't know which donations are tax-deductible.
FWIW .. in the permissions module, you can give them Data Entry authorization, and that's the only thing they can do, you can even lock them out from seeing what people have pledged. You have final review of the data entry as you are the only one who can post Contributions, so you can review all entries in the Unposted Contributions function. As far as teaching them 'what's tax-deductable', all they need to know is that Tithes go in 100, building go in 200, and all else go in 300. Just saying, I've taught 70 years olds to enter Contributions and they're actually very careful. That said, just trying to give you other options.

Thank you for your help. You did give me what I needed when you said I can delete it without creating a problem for Contributions. Since they didn't post, they shouldn't create a problem for Fund Accounting, either.
Thank you!
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

BroDave

Post by BroDave »

Thanks again, Neil. I will consider giving them access to entry only.
I am very grateful we have this resource when we get stuck, and you seem to know more than the rest of us.
I appreciate what you do for the Lord.
David Sheldon, Treasurer
Bryceville, FL

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

BroDave wrote:Thanks again, Neil. I will consider giving them access to entry only.
I am very grateful we have this resource when we get stuck, and you seem to know more than the rest of us.
I appreciate what you do for the Lord.
Thanks Dave ... I've had the benefit of over 20 years of using the program, and I'm still learning tricks.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.