Missing a check in bank reconciliation

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

LynnaR

Missing a check in bank reconciliation

Post by LynnaR »

We use PC online and print checks via Accounts Payable (and Payroll). The current bank statement shows a check which cleared, but does not show up in AP or Fund Accounting. The bank sends photocopies of the checks that clear, so I have proof that the check was printed and the check number printed by PC matches the check stock. We typically print checks in batches, and the ones for that date appear in the appropriate modules and on the bank statement. I have looked at the check register, accounts activity, journal, and several AP reports for posted and unposted. I am now at a loss as to where it could be hiding in PC and would appreciate suggestions.
Lynna

NeilZ

Re: Missing a check in bank reconciliation

Post by NeilZ »

LynnaR wrote:We use PC online and print checks via Accounts Payable (and Payroll). The current bank statement shows a check which cleared, but does not show up in AP or Fund Accounting. The bank sends photocopies of the checks that clear, so I have proof that the check was printed and the check number printed by PC matches the check stock. We typically print checks in batches, and the ones for that date appear in the appropriate modules and on the bank statement. I have looked at the check register, accounts activity, journal, and several AP reports for posted and unposted. I am now at a loss as to where it could be hiding in PC and would appreciate suggestions.
Lynna
What's the date on the check? Don't look in AP, check in Funds Accounting to see if the check is there. If there is a gap there, sort by Date and look for an odd date, like 2108 as a year. If you don't see a check, and you do not see any sort of VOID or REVERSAL on that check. Check the System Audit Log for any database restores, and the Accounting Audit Log to see if there were any changes there.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LynnaR

Post by LynnaR »

The photocopy of the check shows 9/6/2018. I looked first in FA, before searching AP (thinking it might be unposted in AP). I wish there was a posting report for AP, similar to posting for FA, but I do not find one. Checks 7333 thru 7337 (plus a deposit) were posted for 9/6/18. Two checks 7339 and 7340 were posted from Payroll on 9/11/18. The next check from AP (Check 7341) was posted on 9/13/18. No odd-duck dates. System Audit log shows a last date of 2017. Accounting Audit shows a posting on 9/6/18 from AP, but does not identify how many items. Perhaps our admin will see something in the paper copies tomorrow. Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Lynna

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LynnaR wrote:The photocopy of the check shows 9/6/2018. I looked first in FA, before searching AP (thinking it might be unposted in AP). I wish there was a posting report for AP, similar to posting for FA, but I do not find one. Checks 7333 thru 7337 (plus a deposit) were posted for 9/6/18. Two checks 7339 and 7340 were posted from Payroll on 9/11/18. The next check from AP (Check 7341) was posted on 9/13/18. No odd-duck dates. System Audit log shows a last date of 2017. Accounting Audit shows a posting on 9/6/18 from AP, but does not identify how many items. Perhaps our admin will see something in the paper copies tomorrow. Thank you for your thoughts on this.
Lynna
I take it that 7338 is the one missing? Can you tell if it was printed from Powerchurch? Do you have a copy of the check stub, along with the bill it paid?

The system audit log tells me that the system has not had a restore since 2017, the Accounting Audit should also show the printing of the checks, the starting number, and how many were printed. So it should show that on 09/06/18 you should see 6 checks printed. If you don't see 6 checks, and you only see 5, then something happened with 7338 somewhere.

Could it be that someone had to hand write a check for some reason, and did not enter it as a manual check?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LynnaR

Post by LynnaR »

[Sorry if you get this twice -- our electricity went down while I was posting this reply.]
Check 7338 was printed from AP, not handwritten, but it never appeared in FA. After I reported it here, I entered a general journal transaction to record the check, in order to finish reconciling the bank statement. In my login or in SysAdmin, I can view Accounting Audit log, but it only tells me that the bookkeeper posted from AP to FA on 9/6/18 -- it does not tell me how many checks. From the Journal Report, I could see 5 checks posted, not 6, but I think the Journal Report pulls from FA. AP seems to be the problem.

This week, we have encountered another, slightly different problem with AP. This is from an email from the bookkeeper:
Yesterday (10/4) I cut 4 checks: 7356 ($255), 7357 ($50.92), 7358 ($404.02), 7359 ($38.82). I printed the checks and posted them without issue. Today I went in to cut two additional checks and noticed that these were still sitting in open invoices. I thought...hmmmm...maybe I just didn't post them. Went to post accounts payable and they are not available to post. They are just sitting in open invoices as if I never cut the checks...but I did, because I am holding the checks in my hand. I was able to cut and post the two checks today without issue.

So she printed and posted 7356-7359, but they do not appear in FA (unposted). Since they do show up in the AP Report, Open (unpaid) invoices, I thought I could post them to FA, then go into Modify Unposted in FA to include the references (check numbers). But if I walk through the AP post process, they do not show up as available to post. The only thing I know to do at this point is to create general journal entries to get them into FA. I just cannot understand how/why FA, AP and the printer are not communicating.
Lynna

LynnaR

Post by LynnaR »

One other point on Checks 7356-7359:
If I look in Maintain Open Invoices, I can find the 4 items. It says "A check has not been printed for this invoice", even though the bookkeeper had the printed check in her hand. Pay Now is checked 'yes'. I wonder if I convert the 4 items to manual checks and print, if it would clear them out of AP and send them to FA.
Lynna

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

LynnaR wrote:One other point on Checks 7356-7359:
If I look in Maintain Open Invoices, I can find the 4 items. It says "A check has not been printed for this invoice", even though the bookkeeper had the printed check in her hand. Pay Now is checked 'yes'. I wonder if I convert the 4 items to manual checks and print, if it would clear them out of AP and send them to FA.
Lynna
OK .. what I'm seeing is that somehow there is a disconnect somewhere. The print process is fairly straightforward, the program sends the printer the data, then the program will pop up a box asking if the checks need to be reprinted. Clicking on NO, sets the check numbers in the system.

On a local system, this works fine, but you're using PCPlus Online, so that adds the terminal program in the mix. Since Powerchurch Online gives you free phone support, plus they can check your system and your database from the office, I'm going to suggest you call them on Monday as this is sounding more like something that needs to be looked at by the techs.

Sorry we couldn't do more, but its better to wait on the bank reconciliation and get it fixed, then to add a bunch of transactions that may need to be deleted/voided later.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

LynnaR

Post by LynnaR »

Thank you! We were coming to that conclusion, too.