W-2 Does Not Print

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

brentbond

W-2 Does Not Print

Post by brentbond »

Hi. I am running the latest version 12. I was playing around with the W-2 capability. When I get to the part on printing them out on plain paper, it shows the "processing" thermometer running to completion but does not print out the W-2s (or display the PDF it is suppose to create to let me print them out). Any reason why?

----- Brent -----

NeilZ

Re: W-2 Does Not Print

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:Hi. I am running the latest version 12. I was playing around with the W-2 capability. When I get to the part on printing them out on plain paper, it shows the "processing" thermometer running to completion but does not print out the W-2s (or display the PDF it is suppose to create to let me print them out). Any reason why?

----- Brent -----
Brent .. are you on regular Powerchurch or Powerchurch Online?

You do have Adobe Reader installed on your computer, right?

You should be getting a 'save file' dialog when the system is finished. Are you seeing that?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

brentbond

Post by brentbond »

I am running regular PowerChurch V12, the latest version of Adobe Reader, and I have the latest version of Windows 10. The "preparing data for report" screen comes up and actually vanished kind of quickly (I only have 2 employees so it is doing just two W-2s). Once that vanishes, I do not get a "save file" dialogue.

----- Brent -----

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:I am running regular PowerChurch V12, the latest version of Adobe Reader, and I have the latest version of Windows 10. The "preparing data for report" screen comes up and actually vanished kind of quickly (I only have 2 employees so it is doing just two W-2s). Once that vanishes, I do not get a "save file" dialogue.

----- Brent -----
Latest MR installed ?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

brentbond

Post by brentbond »

Yes. I am running the latest MR of version 12.

----- Brent -----

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:Yes. I am running the latest MR of version 12.

----- Brent -----

Can you print IRS Form 941s?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

brentbond

Post by brentbond »

Yes .... the filled in PDF form comes up fine

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:Yes .... the filled in PDF form comes up fine
OK ... if that comes up fine, then there is definitely something else going on. In the PCPLUS12 directory, open the LAYOUT directory.
Check to see if the following PDFs are there:

w2a-2017
w2d-2017
w2emp-inst-2017
w3-2017
w21-2017
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

brentbond

Post by brentbond »

yes all of those files are there

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:yes all of those files are there
OK ... the techs won't be in until Monday or Tuesday, not sure if they're taking Columbus Day off, but this won't be urgent until January, and I'm sure they'll figure it out by then.

That said, you're the only person I've seen having this issue, so I'm suspecting its something local to your system.

One last thing to try. Turn off your antivirus and see what happens. Its worth a shot.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

brentbond

Post by brentbond »

It worked! I turned off my McAfee and it ran fine. Any idea why that would be blocking it? The PC I am doing this on (and having the problem with) is my home PC. My "master" PC is in the office. The staff do a backup from the master and email it to me daily. I restore them on my home PC just to check for errors and things. I will try the W2 thing on the master at the office just to see what happens there.

Thanks.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

brentbond wrote:It worked! I turned off my McAfee and it ran fine. Any idea why that would be blocking it? The PC I am doing this on (and having the problem with) is my home PC. My "master" PC is in the office. The staff do a backup from the master and email it to me daily. I restore them on my home PC just to check for errors and things. I will try the W2 thing on the master at the office just to see what happens there.

Thanks.
FWIW ... McAfee is not what it once was. I use AVG and have not had any such 'false' positives.

I'm guessing that McAfee does not recognize the subprocess that is being used to populate the PDF, and either won't allow it to start, or terminates it as 'malware'.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Just to be safe, I double checked the ProcessPDF application that handles all of that:

https://www.virustotal.com/#/file/838d1 ... /detection

As per usual with McAfee problems, a test scan using their virus and threat definitions doesn't turn up any problems, but their actual installed software causes headaches. From past experience, you were lucky to get the Maintenance Release installed.

https://www.powerchurch.com/support/474 ... 018#mcafee