WA State Paid Family & Medical Leave

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

christybeth

WA State Paid Family & Medical Leave

Post by christybeth »

Will PowerChurch be rolling out new payroll codes for the New Washington State Paid Family & Medical Leave that employees/employers need to start paying in 2019? Thank you!

NeilZ

Re: WA State Paid Family & Medical Leave

Post by NeilZ »

christybeth wrote:Will PowerChurch be rolling out new payroll codes for the New Washington State Paid Family & Medical Leave that employees/employers need to start paying in 2019? Thank you!
This sounds like a local tax that can be easily done with the existing system. No new codes needed, you would start by creating a 'new tax type' and proceed from there. You can find this info on page 310 of the PCPlus 12 User Manual.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

christybeth

Post by christybeth »

I am trying to get this new premium set up for my first Payroll in January. Washington State now requires this starting January 1, 2019 and we are opting to pay the premium for the employee.

I set up two new chart of account numbers for WA State Paid Fam & Med Leave premium as well as a new Item Description and since it is a percentage I added a new tax table. I added it just to one employee to make sure it would work and it is showing $0.00 in the Pay Item.

Chart of account #2222 as a Liability
Chart of account #5124-001 as an Expense

New Payroll Item #38 with the above Liability and Expense Numbers and the Tax Type as WA Paid Fam & Med Leave and an Employer Liability.

The Tax Table has the same description name as well as the Tax Type and I added the 0.252% and cap of $132,900.

What am I missing? In the employee that I added their gross was $977.86 so I should be seeing an amount in the #38 Pay Item line. I tried mimicking the way FICA was setup. Thank you for your assistance!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

christybeth wrote:I am trying to get this new premium set up for my first Payroll in January. Washington State now requires this starting January 1, 2019 and we are opting to pay the premium for the employee.

I set up two new chart of account numbers for WA State Paid Fam & Med Leave premium as well as a new Item Description and since it is a percentage I added a new tax table. I added it just to one employee to make sure it would work and it is showing $0.00 in the Pay Item.

Chart of account #2222 as a Liability
Chart of account #5124-001 as an Expense

New Payroll Item #38 with the above Liability and Expense Numbers and the Tax Type as WA Paid Fam & Med Leave and an Employer Liability.

The Tax Table has the same description name as well as the Tax Type and I added the 0.252% and cap of $132,900.

What am I missing? In the employee that I added their gross was $977.86 so I should be seeing an amount in the #38 Pay Item line. I tried mimicking the way FICA was setup. Thank you for your assistance!
OK .. it sounds like the tax type and tax table was setup correctly (you used the generic percentage, right?). When you added the Item Description you did add it as a employer liability, a 'tax' item, and the tax type selected Fam & Leave. Then did you go to the employee's salary item, and select the Fam & Leave as one of tax items against that income? Even though its a employee liability, checking that tax item will signal the program to calculate the amount, and pull it from the expense account you have setup in the Item Description.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

christybeth

Post by christybeth »

Awesome! I knew I was missing something in order for it to calculate but could not figure it out and had not added it to the employee's salary item. Thank you for your assistance!!