Withholding Question

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ngaham

Withholding Question

Post by ngaham »

When adding the withholdings in the Pay Items menu, do you have to add the employer liability to each employee? The reason I am asking is that I have the correct tax tables added in, but the tax professional who does our W2 and 1099 (yes I know PC can do these) states that our withholding has been wrong. Any ideas on what it could be?

NeilZ

Re: Withholding Question

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:When adding the withholdings in the Pay Items menu, do you have to add the employer liability to each employee? The reason I am asking is that I have the correct tax tables added in, but the tax professional who does our W2 and 1099 (yes I know PC can do these) states that our withholding has been wrong. Any ideas on what it could be?
What are they saying is wrong? The employer liability account should be setup on the Item Description.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ngaham

Post by ngaham »

She is saying that we didn’t withhold enough on both the employee and employer side.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:She is saying that we didn’t withhold enough on both the employee and employer side.
I'm assuming this is a tax like Social Security where both the employer and employee pays taxes based on a percentage of the income?

In which case, just like Social Security you do need to have an employer liability pay item in each employee pay item list.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ngaham

Post by ngaham »

If I didn’t have this in place, how would I go about fixing this for the past?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:If I didn’t have this in place, how would I go about fixing this for the past?
Well you're going to have to make correction returns to whatever tax agency to deposit the employer amount missing. Again, not knowing what tax you're referring to I can't say much more than that.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.