Maintaining a SIMPLE church budget with PC

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

thuytien

Maintaining a SIMPLE church budget with PC

Post by thuytien »

Hey guys,
I am no accountant, I am a pastor of a small 50 member church and we use powerchurch to track our tithes and offerings and print contribution letters (As well as some other small things). Can we use PowerChurch to maintain a simple church budget? I mean Simple Simple... we have 16 areas we budget, such as "Worship team equipment- $50 a month", we set up thes in fund accounting... but I am so lost on how to enter in trasactions. If I buy a sound cable from Guitar center for 12.50 I want to be able to simply enter "Sound cable" and debot 12.50 from the monthly budget from "Worship Team Equipment". Is this doable, or is PowerChurch accounting really meant to be used by an accountant for larger churches?

NeilZ

Re: Maintaining a SIMPLE church budget with PC

Post by NeilZ »

thuytien wrote:Hey guys,
I am no accountant, I am a pastor of a small 50 member church and we use powerchurch to track our tithes and offerings and print contribution letters (As well as some other small things). Can we use PowerChurch to maintain a simple church budget? I mean Simple Simple... we have 16 areas we budget, such as "Worship team equipment- $50 a month", we set up thes in fund accounting... but I am so lost on how to enter in trasactions. If I buy a sound cable from Guitar center for 12.50 I want to be able to simply enter "Sound cable" and debot 12.50 from the monthly budget from "Worship Team Equipment". Is this doable, or is PowerChurch accounting really meant to be used by an accountant for larger churches?
Powerchurch is designed for use by any size church, and any size budget. However, you have to have a good chart of accounts to begin with so you properly show each ministry's expenses.

There are two parts of Accounting that you will use:

Accounts Payable - this is where you write the checks to pay for those purposes. The Check transaction you enter will show the proper expense account.

Funds Accounting - this is the module that actually updates the chart of accounts, and from where you get your accounting reports, this will reflect your expenses for the month.

You may want to invest in the "Intro to Accounting" training offered by Powerchurch for $40.00. https://www.powerchurch.com/training/videos/
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.