Weird situation - person mistakenly used church debit card

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GFBCUser

Weird situation - person mistakenly used church debit card

Post by GFBCUser »

and made a purchase for $300. The Debit Card transaction immediately hits the bank. She let me know what she did, and gave me a check for $300 to cover it.I have not made any entry yet in PC for either transaction.
I would imagine I should Debit the Checking Account for $300 by entering a transaction in Fund Accounting ...but what account should I be Crediting? There has to be a very common sense answer, but it is escaping me.
Thanks in advance.

NeilZ

Re: Weird situation - person mistakenly used church debit ca

Post by NeilZ »

GFBCUser wrote:and made a purchase for $300. The Debit Card transaction immediately hits the bank. She let me know what she did, and gave me a check for $300 to cover it.I have not made any entry yet in PC for either transaction.
I would imagine I should Debit the Checking Account for $300 by entering a transaction in Fund Accounting ...but what account should I be Crediting? There has to be a very common sense answer, but it is escaping me.
Thanks in advance.
There will be two separate transactions:

1. Showing the purchase. You will create a CREDIT entry against the Checking account, and you can DEBIT any expense account just like any other expense. You have to show thsi as it will DEFINITELY show up in the bank statement.

2. Showing the reimbursement. You will create a DEBIT entry against he Checking account showing the deposit, as you noted this does not go through any income account. You will then CREDIT the expense account you used in step 1. This will cover the separate deposit of the $300.00 that will show up on the bank statement.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GFBCUser

Post by GFBCUser »

Did what you said. Now, when I am reconciling the checking account there is a $300 entry in "Deposits and Other Additions" as well as the $300 debit card transaction in "Checks and Other Subtractions."
I used the same Expense account for both transactions.
I followed your instruction: "Showing the reimbursement. You will create a DEBIT entry against he Checking account showing the deposit, as you noted this does not go through any income account. You will then CREDIT the expense account you used in step 1. This will cover the separate deposit of the $300.00 that will show up on the bank statement."
So now, when reconciling, if I clear the entry under "Deposits and Other Additions" it shows I need $300 to balance.
My head is officially hurting...

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GFBCUser wrote:Did what you said. Now, when I am reconciling the checking account there is a $300 entry in "Deposits and Other Additions" as well as the $300 debit card transaction in "Checks and Other Subtractions."
I used the same Expense account for both transactions.
I followed your instruction: "Showing the reimbursement. You will create a DEBIT entry against he Checking account showing the deposit, as you noted this does not go through any income account. You will then CREDIT the expense account you used in step 1. This will cover the separate deposit of the $300.00 that will show up on the bank statement."
So now, when reconciling, if I clear the entry under "Deposits and Other Additions" it shows I need $300 to balance.
My head is officially hurting...
OK .. the $300.000 should have cancelled each other out. Did the $300.00 deposit show up on the bank statement? It doesn't sound like it. If you don't check off that $300.00 I suspect that the difference shows 0.00
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GFBCUser

Post by GFBCUser »

What can I say??? Yeah, the $300 deposit hadn't made it to the bank statement yet.
Thanks for all your help...and PATIENCE!!!

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GFBCUser wrote:What can I say??? Yeah, the $300 deposit hadn't made it to the bank statement yet.
Thanks for all your help...and PATIENCE!!!
Sometimes the most obvious answer is the one that completely escapes us. Getting another set of 'eyes' is always a good thing :)
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.