Accounts Receivable amount doesn't show up as deposit in Che

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

Judy Vader

Accounts Receivable amount doesn't show up as deposit in Che

Post by Judy Vader »

A floor finishing product was inadvertently purchased (from Amazon) using the GENERAL ACCOUNT debit card - rather than the BUILDING FUND debit card. I created an INVOICE (to the Building Fund) for the amount of the purchase - $675.12. Additionally, I transferred $675.12 FROM the Building Account TO the General Fund. That amount ($675.12) therefore, shows up on the January - BANK STATEMENT - as a DEPOSIT.

When I print the check register, however, there is a line that says
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - but no dollar amount is shown. The "DEPOSITS" column is blank.

In the ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE module in Power Church 11.5 I posted the transaction, and I also posted it in the FUND ACCOUNTING module.

I am completely baffled as to why this is not showing up, as I have in the past done (what I thought was) the same process in order to document funds that were received, but could not be categorized as a CONTRIBUTION.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IT IS UNFORTUNATE BECAUSE IT PREVENTS THE CHECKBOOK FROM BALANCING WITH THE JANUARY BANK STATEMENT.

NeilZ

Re: Accounts Receivable amount doesn't show up as deposit in

Post by NeilZ »

Judy Vader wrote:A floor finishing product was inadvertently purchased (from Amazon) using the GENERAL ACCOUNT debit card - rather than the BUILDING FUND debit card. I created an INVOICE (to the Building Fund) for the amount of the purchase - $675.12. Additionally, I transferred $675.12 FROM the Building Account TO the General Fund. That amount ($675.12) therefore, shows up on the January - BANK STATEMENT - as a DEPOSIT.

When I print the check register, however, there is a line that says
ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE - but no dollar amount is shown. The "DEPOSITS" column is blank.

In the ACCOUNTS RECEIVABLE module in Power Church 11.5 I posted the transaction, and I also posted it in the FUND ACCOUNTING module.

I am completely baffled as to why this is not showing up, as I have in the past done (what I thought was) the same process in order to document funds that were received, but could not be categorized as a CONTRIBUTION.

I DO NOT KNOW HOW TO RESOLVE THIS PROBLEM, AND IT IS UNFORTUNATE BECAUSE IT PREVENTS THE CHECKBOOK FROM BALANCING WITH THE JANUARY BANK STATEMENT.
I would void and/or reverse the AR transaction totally.

I'm assuming that there are two separate bank accounts, one for operating and one for building?

If so, then there are THREE transactions needed, and neither should have involved the AR module:

1. Create a manual check in Accounts Payable as you would a normal invoice CREDITing the Operations checking account and DEBITing the correct operations expense account. This covers the funds OUT of operating
2. Create a manual check in AP CREDITing the Building checking account and DEBITing an expense account. This covers the debit transaction against the building fund]/b]
3. Enter a transaction under the Funds Accounting module to DEBIT the Building Checking Account, and CREDIT the Building expense account used in step 2.

You will then see in Building Reconciliation the debit card transaction, and the deposit. In Operations you will only see the manual transaction under the 'checks and other subtractions.

As I always advise, do a Powerchurch backup of the accounting files prior to doing anything so you can revert if needed. Also include as much information in the transaction notes for an audit trail.

Some advice ... I would NOT use the AR module to handle any deposits that cannot go through Contributions. I usually advise people to make the deposit using the Funds Accounting module, showing a DEBIT to checking, and a CREDIT to an income account.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.