Correcting posted payroll entries

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

axehead

Correcting posted payroll entries

Post by axehead »

I've discovered an error in the reported housing allowance for 2018 where the entire year is incorrect. I could reverse each of the payroll items for 2018 in fund accounting but Powerchurch cautions me that it should be done in the payroll module. I don't see a way to do that. How can I make these corrections and have the salary date come out correctly?

NeilZ

Re: Correcting posted payroll entries

Post by NeilZ »

axehead wrote:I've discovered an error in the reported housing allowance for 2018 where the entire year is incorrect. I could reverse each of the payroll items for 2018 in fund accounting but Powerchurch cautions me that it should be done in the payroll module. I don't see a way to do that. How can I make these corrections and have the salary date come out correctly?
I'm guessing that you edited the W-2 to properly reflect the correct housing amount.

As far as fixing it, you can make the adjustment by creating the transaction in Fund Accounting, but that leaves the invalid payroll data. As the IRS requires that payroll records be maintained for at least 4 years you may need to correct them.

Depending on the amount, you can adjust one or two checks to correct the issue. First, void the check from the employee's check history list as seen under the Maintain List of Employees. Then process payroll, use the date range of that check as well as the pay date. Check the Supress specific items box, then when you get to the Enter Salary Payroll screen enter the corrected housing allowance. Get to the Verify Payroll screen, select MANUAL CHECK, and enter the number of the original check there.

Click on FINISH, then post payroll, and then post Funds Accounting. This should clear up the issue.

As usual, do a Powerchurch backup of the Accounting Files in case you need to revert back.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.