Checks Didn't Post

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

GregJohnson

Checks Didn't Post

Post by GregJohnson »

I've completed entering my first month of Contributions and manual checks. I followed the instructions to post the checks, and the screens that came up were right in line with the Reference Manual (page 266). I also posted the contributions. When I try to post checks again, the system says there aren't any, so I'm pretty sure I did it right. BUT, when I display the Check Register report from the Funds Accounting Reports, the only way I can get the transactions to display is to check the "Include Unposted Transactions." When the report prints (displays), all the lines are bold and italics, which means they haven't been posted. What didn't I do?

GregJohnson

Re: Checks Didn't Post

Post by GregJohnson »

I just discovered that I have to post transactions to Fund Accounting, too. It really takes two "posting" events to get the transactions that I entered to post to reports?? Seems excessive. I'm afraid of what other things aren't posted... there isn't a single button that will post all transactions to all areas of the system at once?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GregJohnson wrote:I just discovered that I have to post transactions to Fund Accounting, too. It really takes two "posting" events to get the transactions that I entered to post to reports?? Seems excessive. I'm afraid of what other things aren't posted... there isn't a single button that will post all transactions to all areas of the system at once?
Because each module is separate, the program is setup to allow users to post to Funds Accounting from Contributions, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, and Payroll.

Everything goes into the unposted transactions queue in Funds Accounting. This allows complete oversight of all areas of accounting. Thus you can have a bookkeeper enter and post from Payroll and AP, and someone else who does Accounts Receivable items such as bookstore post from there. Then a Financial Secretary can post Contributions once they're sure they're correct.

Then a Treasurer (or similar official) can then review the transactions, and do the final posting. It does allow you to catch issues like incorrect accounts used for expenses, or for income.

For instance, I will post AP after I have checks signed, but will only post Funds Accounting twice a month so I have a chance to review what has come in from Contributions.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

GregJohnson

Post by GregJohnson »

Thanks for the explanation; I can understand that.
Funny you should mention contributions... I enter online contributions at the end of every month, and they all go into a separate bank account (in fact, a separate bank). I just discovered that January's online contributions were posted to the wrong bank account. How do I get the amount moved so it shows up in the correct bank account Check Register?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

GregJohnson wrote:Thanks for the explanation; I can understand that.
Funny you should mention contributions... I enter online contributions at the end of every month, and they all go into a separate bank account (in fact, a separate bank). I just discovered that January's online contributions were posted to the wrong bank account. How do I get the amount moved so it shows up in the correct bank account Check Register?
Create a manual transaction to move the amount from account a to account b:

Something like this where 1110-000 is the correct account, and the 1111-000 is the incorrect account, and we're moving $200.00

01-1110-000 DB $200.00
01-1111-000 CR $200.00

I'm assuming that all the income accounts are also in the same Accounting Fund.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.