Advance cheques

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

RobynS

Advance cheques

Post by RobynS »

What is the best way to deal with advance cheques?

I often receive requests for cheques to be issued that will cover upcoming expenses. The receipts I receive may be slightly more or less than the amount asked for. How should I enter the initial advance cheque, as well as reimbursement of unused amounts? In Canada we are eligible to receive 50% of the goods and services tax (GST) so I want to be sure those figures are entered in Power Church.

Hope this makes sense! Many thanks!

Robyn

NeilZ

Re: Advance cheques

Post by NeilZ »

RobynS wrote:What is the best way to deal with advance cheques?

I often receive requests for cheques to be issued that will cover upcoming expenses. The receipts I receive may be slightly more or less than the amount asked for. How should I enter the initial advance cheque, as well as reimbursement of unused amounts? In Canada we are eligible to receive 50% of the goods and services tax (GST) so I want to be sure those figures are entered in Power Church.

Hope this makes sense! Many thanks!

Robyn
I'm assuming that this would be an expense? You would do as normal, DEBIT the ministry account that will be incurring the expense. If you get money back, that would be a transaction entered via the Funds Accounting, that would DEBIT Checking, and CREDIT the Expense account you used when you wrote the check, thus returning the funds to your checking, and removing the unused expense from the expense account.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.