Have to use a different computer

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

marknicolai192

Have to use a different computer

Post by marknicolai192 »

Hi guys,
Have to use a different computer. I backed up the accounting files on a thumb drive and when
they were restored there accounting setup was not there. Should I have backed up (all data files) instead?
The program loads up and looks right on the new computer. Just nothing under accounting. It says
is has to be set up.
Thanks

NeilZ

Re: Have to use a different computer

Post by NeilZ »

marknicolai192 wrote:Hi guys,
Have to use a different computer. I backed up the accounting files on a thumb drive and when
they were restored there accounting setup was not there. Should I have backed up (all data files) instead?
The program loads up and looks right on the new computer. Just nothing under accounting. It says
is has to be set up.
Thanks
I'm assuming that you're using a different computer because you're not on the same network as the main Powerchurch computer?

Did you install the program on the new computer using the install CD or setup file?
If so, you should do a complete backup of the existing database using the Powerchurch Backup utiltiy. The first time you startup the program after installation you will be asked if this is a new install, and upgrade, or (in Version 12) if you're installing using a Powerchurch backup.

If you're not using v12, then install the program, start it, and select NEW install. Have your registration number as you will need that to run the program. Once the blank database has been create, RESTORE the backup you made.

This installs all the support files needed, along with the data. I suspect that you're going to be doing the accounting only in future on the new machine. If so, do NOT restore any other backups taken on the original system as you'll overwrite your work.

If you're going to be doing the accounting on the separate computer, just backup the accounting files and send them to the 'main' computer to be restored. Contributions should be posted to Funds Accounting VIA FILE. The steps to do this is in the documentation.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.