Balance Sheet and Bank Rec don't tie for 1110- Cash in Bank

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

FCCPeoria

Balance Sheet and Bank Rec don't tie for 1110- Cash in Bank

Post by FCCPeoria »

The Cash in Bank totals for account 1110 presented on our Balance Sheet do not tie to the Cash in Bank totals for account 1110 presented on the Bank Reconciliation. I suspect that this is due to transactions in prior years whose check dates and posting months did not agree. We only recently thought to compare the Cash in Bank balance between the 2 reports. I am confident that the Cash in Bank figure presented on the Bank Reconciliation report is correct, as it reconciles to the Bank Statement on a monthly basis.

Is there a recommended method for adjusting the balance presented for Cash in Bank on the balance sheet? If this is done via standard accounting entry, how do we ensure it adjusts the Balance Sheet without affecting the Bank Reconciliation?

Now that Version 12 offers the option to open closed months, do we need to identify specific transactions whose posting dates and months do not agree, reopen their months, reverse the entry, and re-post the entry with proper dates?

Is there a way to access the data within a back up file and adjust the posting dates (this seems like it would be a risk for fraudulent accounting, but wanted to ask in case it could help our posting date issue).

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,

NeilZ

Re: Balance Sheet and Bank Rec don't tie for 1110- Cash in B

Post by NeilZ »

FCCPeoria wrote:The Cash in Bank totals for account 1110 presented on our Balance Sheet do not tie to the Cash in Bank totals for account 1110 presented on the Bank Reconciliation. I suspect that this is due to transactions in prior years whose check dates and posting months did not agree. We only recently thought to compare the Cash in Bank balance between the 2 reports. I am confident that the Cash in Bank figure presented on the Bank Reconciliation report is correct, as it reconciles to the Bank Statement on a monthly basis.

Is there a recommended method for adjusting the balance presented for Cash in Bank on the balance sheet? If this is done via standard accounting entry, how do we ensure it adjusts the Balance Sheet without affecting the Bank Reconciliation?

Now that Version 12 offers the option to open closed months, do we need to identify specific transactions whose posting dates and months do not agree, reopen their months, reverse the entry, and re-post the entry with proper dates?

Is there a way to access the data within a back up file and adjust the posting dates (this seems like it would be a risk for fraudulent accounting, but wanted to ask in case it could help our posting date issue).

Any input is appreciated.

Thank you for your time,
You can do an Out of Balance (OOB) transaction, which will fix the issue, but its not recommended, and a talk to an accountant before it is used is in order.

However, I don't think that an issue with incorrect posting dates would affect the amount in the bank, unless they were incorrect in some way. The deductions or additions would still be the same.

You didn't say if the balance sheet was showing extra funds, or less.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.