Applying posted contributions to new income line?

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

kellgal

Applying posted contributions to new income line?

Post by kellgal »

Hello! I am one month new to PowerChurch and have benefited immensely from this forum! I've really had to learn on the fly and, as a result, I need help (if possible) with this situation:

Had to start accepting contributions for camp fees before I completely understood how to create income and expense sub-accounts properly. I applied the contributions I received directly into the 1110 account, but is there a way to show these contributions in the new income line I created so we can see exactly how much of the 1110 balance is attributed to that line? Here is what I originally did when I applied the camp fees:
$150 camp fee contribution ---> 21-1110-000 Christian Nurture bank

I want to see that $150 in the new 21-4080-607 income sub account I just created for Camp

I'm hoping this makes sense, but I'm happy to clarify anything necessary. It may be that, because these contributions were posted well before I learned how to create sub income/expense accounts, I may not be able to fix. Thank you!

NeilZ

Re: Applying posted contributions to new income line?

Post by NeilZ »

kellgal wrote:Hello! I am one month new to PowerChurch and have benefited immensely from this forum! I've really had to learn on the fly and, as a result, I need help (if possible) with this situation:

Had to start accepting contributions for camp fees before I completely understood how to create income and expense sub-accounts properly. I applied the contributions I received directly into the 1110 account, but is there a way to show these contributions in the new income line I created so we can see exactly how much of the 1110 balance is attributed to that line? Here is what I originally did when I applied the camp fees:
$150 camp fee contribution ---> 21-1110-000 Christian Nurture bank

I want to see that $150 in the new 21-4080-607 income sub account I just created for Camp

I'm hoping this makes sense, but I'm happy to clarify anything necessary. It may be that, because these contributions were posted well before I learned how to create sub income/expense accounts, I may not be able to fix. Thank you!
OK ... this is an easy transaction, since its in the same fund. You just need to figure where the original amount was posted. I'm going to assume it was the standard tithes and offerings account for this example. I'm fairly sure it defaults to account 4030-000, so we'll use that here. You do not need to do anything with the 1110-000 account, as its the checking account.

The transaction would look like this:

21-4030-000 DB 150.00
21-4080-607 CR 150.00

This moves the funds from appearing under the normal income account to the new Camp account. You'll have to verify the income account where you were assigning the funds through the Contributions module originally, and use that account as the DEBIT account in that transaction.

I would then change the Contribution Fund setup to point to that new income account for Camp.

Does this help?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

kellgal

Post by kellgal »

Thanks, Neil! This is very helpful.

If I remember correctly, the Camp contribution was originally pointed directly toward the checking account. But you’re saying that would default to 4030-000? Is it even possible for a contribution to bypass an income line entirely and be applied directly to the checking account?

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

kellgal wrote:Thanks, Neil! This is very helpful.

If I remember correctly, the Camp contribution was originally pointed directly toward the checking account. But you’re saying that would default to 4030-000? Is it even possible for a contribution to bypass an income line entirely and be applied directly to the checking account?
You can't bypass having an income account. I'm sure that the system REQUIRES an account listed as the INCOME account. Powerchurch is double entry accounting, every DEBIT requires a CREDIT.

Again, I would head to the Contribution Fund Setup and look at that Camp Contribution Fund to see what is listed as the INCOME account. I used 4030-000 as its the default TIthes & Offerings account if you used Powerchurch's Accounting Setup to setup Funds Accounting.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.