Payroll Check Issue

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

ngaham

Payroll Check Issue

Post by ngaham »

I need some help on how to handle this situation. I had a payroll check clear through our account twice. The first time it was sent through the check was cleared under check number 14032 and I caught it. Then in July, the payee wasn't sure if they had cashed the check and resubmitted it. The check then cleared as 14082. I am not sure how to make the account whole as I am off on my reconciliation by the amount of the check as I can clear the amount twice.

NeilZ

Re: Payroll Check Issue

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:I need some help on how to handle this situation. I had a payroll check clear through our account twice. The first time it was sent through the check was cleared under check number 14032 and I caught it. Then in July, the payee wasn't sure if they had cashed the check and resubmitted it. The check then cleared as 14082. I am not sure how to make the account whole as I am off on my reconciliation by the amount of the check as I can clear the amount twice.
Question ... did they return the funds? How did it get through the bank as a totally different number?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

ngaham

Post by ngaham »

The funds haven’t been returned yet. The images of the first time the check was bad an instead of 14082, it was sent through at 14032. Then, a month later it was sent through as 14082.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

ngaham wrote:The funds haven’t been returned yet. The images of the first time the check was bad an instead of 14082, it was sent through at 14032. Then, a month later it was sent through as 14082.
Well as soon as you get the funds back VOID the incorrect check from Payroll, this will clear up the payroll database, which includes tax data, etc.

Then post this void through the system.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.