Searching Within "Journal Report" - V12

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

R.V.Fagan

Searching Within "Journal Report" - V12

Post by R.V.Fagan »

I just upgraded to Desktop PCPlus Version 12, from Desktop PCPlus Version 11.55

When I do a search within a JOURNAL REPORT, it finds the first occurrence, however, when you do a "Find Next" it jumps to the last occurrence. It will not stop at intermediate occurrences of the text search.

Oddly, inside an INCOME EXPENSE REPORT, it finds first occurrence at bottom of page, and works its way up the page. Then it jumps to the bottom of the second page, and then finds first occurrence at bottom of page, and works its way up the page. this continues on all pages.

Has anybody else experienced such an odd occurrence ???? The journal report is one that can contain several hundred pages, and is used often.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph

NeilZ

Re: Searching Within "Journal Report" - V12

Post by NeilZ »

R.V.Fagan wrote:I just upgraded to Desktop PCPlus Version 12, from Desktop PCPlus Version 11.55

When I do a search within a JOURNAL REPORT, it finds the first occurrence, however, when you do a "Find Next" it jumps to the last occurrence. It will not stop at intermediate occurrences of the text search.

Oddly, inside an INCOME EXPENSE REPORT, it finds first occurrence at bottom of page, and works its way up the page. Then it jumps to the bottom of the second page, and then finds first occurrence at bottom of page, and works its way up the page. this continues on all pages.

Has anybody else experienced such an odd occurrence ???? The journal report is one that can contain several hundred pages, and is used often.

Thanks in advance.

Ralph
Your's is the first report I've seen on this. Just to verify, you are up to date on the MRs installed, right?
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

R.V.Fagan

Post by R.V.Fagan »

Yes, it is the latest.

NeilZ

Post by NeilZ »

R.V.Fagan wrote:Yes, it is the latest.
As I mentioned, your report is the first I've seen about this. I'll flag it for the techs.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

I just tested searching text in the Journal Report and Income & Expense Statement in both 11.5 and 12 side by side and all worked exactly the same for me. Search results were returned individually top to bottom and first to last throughout the report. I also tried holding down modifier keys like Shift, Ctrl, and Alt, which didn't change the behavior.

The only "strange" behavior I saw was when changing the search term midway through the report, it doesn't reset to search from the beginning of the report, it searches from the top of the current page forward. That too was consistent between 11.5 and 12.

What is an example of a term you are searching for in the report? I tried it with a symbol, one numeric digit, multiple numeric digits, and multiple letters.

R.V.Fagan

Post by R.V.Fagan »

For a while I was thinking maybe it's because I use a MacBook Pro running Windows 10, under Parallels. All are running the most current loads.

Today I tried it on a regular desktop PC, running Windows 10. I got the same results as on my Mac.

It does not seem to matter what string I am searching for (numeric or full alpha strings), or whether I use a mouse or the touchpad to click the FIND NEXT, or just use the the N key in FIND NEXT. It appears as though it were a "sticky key" issue, and the click gets repeated multiple times. Why I suggest a "sticky key" type issue is because when it stops what looks like repeated searches, it's as though you search again after the last find, and you get the Crystal Reports error message window indicating "The text can not be found in the report."

Hope this may steer you in another direction - maybe the Crystal Reports module.

Cheers,

Ralph

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Post by Zorak »

Looking in the code, the Find Text form calls a built-in Crystal Reports function called "SearchForText".

Since both of your computers have the issue and we don't have access to the actual source code that is performing the search to troubleshoot it, you can try different settings in Windows to see if they have any effect. I am thinking specifically Regional & Language Options, since it is a text-related problem, but honestly, it could be anything.

R.V.Fagan

Post by R.V.Fagan »

Zorak - I just reverified the Region/Language settings, and they are both set to United States. I will attempt to reach out to the Crystal Reports community.