Merging accounts

Fund Accounting, Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Payroll

Moderators: Moderators, Tech Support

mikenerney

Merging accounts

Post by mikenerney »

We have a new church org structure so I need to reorganize my chart of accounts to match the new structure. I realize that many account numbers will need to be merged into new numbers to keep the various ministries together in my COA under my new org structure. However, I would like to take my account #6600 which is currently a level 4 account with posted transactions in previous years and make it a level 3 account with no history. Can I merge the historical data from #6600 into an existing Level 4 account? If so, will this combine the transactions of the two accounts into the one existing account? Then can I change the #6600 level 4 account that should have no historical data after the merge into a level 3 Group account?
Mike Nerney, Associate Pastor
Calvary Baptist Church, Bel Air, MD

NeilZ

Re: Merging accounts

Post by NeilZ »

mikenerney wrote:We have a new church org structure so I need to reorganize my chart of accounts to match the new structure. I realize that many account numbers will need to be merged into new numbers to keep the various ministries together in my COA under my new org structure. However, I would like to take my account #6600 which is currently a level 4 account with posted transactions in previous years and make it a level 3 account with no history. Can I merge the historical data from #6600 into an existing Level 4 account? If so, will this combine the transactions of the two accounts into the one existing account? Then can I change the #6600 level 4 account that should have no historical data after the merge into a level 3 Group account?
FWIW .. everything you want to do is covered in the User Manual under Modifying your Chart of Accounts. As far as your 6600 account, I'm FAIRLY sure that if you merge it with another account you will not lose any history. I would definitely do a backup of the Accounting database, try this change, and see what happens. This way you can revert if it doesn't turn out the way you want it to.
Neil Zampella

Using PC+ since 1999.

Zorak
Tech Support
Tech Support

Re: Merging accounts

Post by Zorak »

I can confirm that when you merge accounts together, you will maintain the transaction history and balance from both. They will be combined. Any references to the old account number (like being assigned to a vendor record or set up in a repeating transaction) will be updated to the new number.